legacy add-ons

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
Energise

Re: legacy add-ons

Post by Energise »

spilparc wrote:
Energise wrote:Hi spilparc

I've temporarily gone back to v56 because of not being able to use ReminderFox but I have just moved it over to Thunderbird so I'm hoping it will work in a very similar way to how it did in Firefox 56. If so, then I can go on to v57 again.

I got v56 from this link, although I can only see v55 on it now. Don't forget to switch off automatic updating otherwise you'll get v57 back again by tomorrow ;)

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/in ... of-firefox
On my second computer I disabled upgrades for Firefox. Rebooted. Lo and behold it upgraded to Quantum without even asking me.
Oh! The only place I'm aware of to turn off updates, although there must be others, is in Help / About Firefox. Might be worth checking out where else they can be turned off. My PC is still running v56, although laptop and Linx are now running v57 but I don't need ReminderFox on the latter two devices. Reminderfox is running well now in Thunderbird.

Good luck
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

You will also want to delete Mozilla Maintenance from that computer as well -- https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/wh ... ce-service
Energise

Post by Energise »

spilparc wrote:
Energise wrote:Hi spilparc

I've temporarily gone back to v56 because of not being able to use ReminderFox but I have just moved it over to Thunderbird so I'm hoping it will work in a very similar way to how it did in Firefox 56. If so, then I can go on to v57 again.

I got v56 from this link, although I can only see v55 on it now. Don't forget to switch off automatic updating otherwise you'll get v57 back again by tomorrow ;)

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/in ... of-firefox
On my second computer I disabled upgrades for Firefox. Rebooted. Lo and behold it upgraded to Quantum without even asking me.
Thanks, DanRaisch
I've just checked my PC, which is the one running FF v56, and it seems that it's not installed. Also, my PC has been running v56 for several days now, without issue, so presumably MMS was removed at some point.

On Laptop, which is running FF v57, it is installed and, presumably, it will be installed on my tablet, running v57.

Is the Mozilla Maintenance Service only related to v57, perhaps?

Many thanks
therube

Post by therube »

Is the Mozilla Maintenance Service only related to v57, perhaps?
No. MMS has been around for some time now.
(And, AFAIK, it has no bearing on updates.Globally Disable FF Update - System-wide.)
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
Energise

Post by Energise »

Thanks, therube
:)
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Not according to this from the Mozilla Support pages: "Firefox and Thunderbird install an optional service called the Mozilla Maintenance Service which allows application updates to occur in the background, without requiring you to click Yes in the Windows User Account Control (UAC) dialog."
therube

Post by therube »

What this "background update" is, is the bypass of the UAC prompt.
All the service does is to bypass a single prompt.
Without it, you would get the UAC prompt, & you would have to click, OK (or Yes, it seems), before the update to continue.
Nothing more.
It has no effect on whether you get an update or not.
(AFAIK).
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
therube

Post by therube »

LameBrains

Post by LameBrains »

I have about 15 still marked legacy add-ons I use all the time that I have arrived at through trial and error over the years. Who's got time to find replacements? And then maybe find out that in v60 the add-ons will be trashed again. Sticking with 56.0.2 until I have time to find another browser. Will probably end up with Chrome. Hopefully won't have the same issue with a future version of that, at least for a while.

Feel like the clock is ticking until something is going to go wrong with 56.0.2, so I need to get to the gettin.... wish I didn't have a life so I had time for all of this! Damn shame... loved FF for years. Just can't be bothered with this add-on BS. I get to depend on them and then they are trashed.
coldsteel

Post by coldsteel »

spilparc wrote:
On my second computer I disabled upgrades for Firefox. Rebooted. Lo and behold it upgraded to Quantum without even asking me.[/quote]

Same here
Tomatoshadow2

Post by Tomatoshadow2 »

Don't mean to boost an old thread. But is MMS installed on all operating systems, that run Firefox or just Windows.
James

Post by James »

tomatoshadow2 wrote:Don't mean to boost an old thread. But is MMS installed on all operating systems, that run Firefox or just Windows.
Just on Windows.

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/wh ... ce-service
Tomatoshadow2

Post by Tomatoshadow2 »

Thanks James, appreciate it as always.