BUSTED
THIS METHOD NO LONGER WORKS
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... #p14808938

-------

Globally Disable FF Update - System-wide

So you're on 56.
You're screwing with 57.

56 is your "install", default.
You've disabled "updates" because you don't want to be updated to 57, & you're good.

But you create a new Profile - because you want to test something.
And you open it in your default, 56, & BAM, before you know it, before you have time to go into Options & disable updates, you've already been updated. Damn!

So you set that particular Profile's updates to, disabled.
Then you delete that newly updated install, & reinstall your 56 & you're back where you wanted to.

And you're going along just fine.

And one day you go to test something, so you create a new Profile, & you open it up & before you can say, lickety-split, damn! updated to 57 again.

So you go through the procedure again.

And you're going along just fine.

And one day you go to test something...

---

Set your instalDir to read-only.

Set that way, with FF at default values, like when opening a new Profile, FF will download updates - but they will not install.
You can go to, Help | About, & an "update" may download (even multiple times if you go to Help | About multiple times) & you can click 'Restart to update Firefox' to your hearts content, & FF will restart, but the update will not get installed.

You're left where you started, at 56 :-).

---

After going through this scenario any number of times, I figured can't hurt to try something like this.
In my case (Win7), I set my FF 56 instalDir & every file/directory within as read-only.

Simple to do & seems to work - on my end ;-).

At some point if you do actually want to update, remove the read-only attributes & go for it.

(I do not "install", but rather unpack & run.
I do not "install" into "typical" locations, i.e., "Program Files" or any place like that, but rather where I want things to go.
I did not test, but would expect a "regular" install into "Program Files" [or where ever a regular install installs] to work similarly.
This should stop an update from being "forced" upon you.
This should allow you enough time to change update settings in your new Profile, to disabled without relying upon other "hacks".
Updates do download [to a place like, C:\Users\{username}\AppData\Local\Mozilla\updates\{guid}\updates\0], so if you feel like it you might want to manually go around & zap them.)
Last edited by therube on September 10th, 2018, 5:11 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
therube

Re: Globally Disable FF Update - System-wide

Post by therube »

Similarly...

Code: Select all

C:\Users\{username}\AppData\Local\Mozilla\updates\{guid}\updates\0
C:\Users\{username}\AppData\Local\Mozilla\updates\

may have multiple {guid} subdirectories.
Seems "trash" (updates; partially downloaded, fully downloaded; partial or full .mar) has a tendency to accumulate in there.

Their very existence, depending on circumstances, probably relates to some claims of "I turned off updates, but FF still updated me", so (IMO) zapping that entire \updates\ sudirectory structure can't hurt.

(There are any number of ways unintended updates can happen. And I believe this is one - even if it may only occur under a particularly odd set of circumstances - as I have had an unexpected update that I can only attribute to this. [And IMO, the "update service" has no bearing on this at all. I have never had the "update service'.])
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
lovemyfoxy

Post by lovemyfoxy »

Where is instalDir? The installation directory, in my case in Program Files?
2 Desktops--Win 7 Ult.SP1 x64/6GB RAM /Firefox 52.9ESR/Waterfox64 2022.11/Thunderbird 52.9ESR/BitWarden PW Manager/Verizon FIOS wired network
therube

Post by therube »

Yes, wherever FF is installed.
MomAries

Post by MomAries »

LoveMyFoxy wrote:Where is instalDir? The installation directory, in my case in Program Files?
Mine is in Program Files too.
Many thanks to all the folks who help me with my problems.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

This should allow you enough time to change update settings in your new Profile, to disabled without relying upon other "hacks".
Yep, God forbid that someone just disconnects from the Net for less than 5 minutes, when they make a new profile and change its update settings...

Jeeze, you guys, no lateral thinking.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
Grumpus

Post by Grumpus »

Even I know to disconnect when doing some things. :roll:
Doesn't matter what you say, it's wrong for a toaster to walk around the house and talk to you
therube

Post by therube »

So let's see... if you need to, let's say, restart your browser multiple times, its OK for you to add an easier to access 'Restart' button.

But if I want to ensure that my program install remains as I want it - untouched, I'm supposed to disconnect from the internet for 5:min while I open up my new Profile, set updates to Off in that Profile, plus needing to do it each time I open a new Profile, & all the while, I lose internet & LAN access from other browsers, downloaders, chat, networked computers, ... instead of simply making one change - once.

OK.
To each his own.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

therube wrote:So let's see... if you need to, let's say, restart your browser multiple times, its OK for you to add an easier to access 'Restart' button.

But if I want to ensure that my program install remains as I want it - untouched, I'm supposed to disconnect from the internet for 5:min while I open up my new Profile, set updates to Off in that Profile
Yep, that's how it works. Unfair world, eh?

Simple, effective, solutions are always preferable to over-geeky ones. More importantly, you don't forget the changes you've made 3+ years down the line.

Works for me...and Grumpus, it seems. 8-)
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
Grumpus

Post by Grumpus »

OK, let's get the cat out of the bag.
Anyone who has worked with computers for more than a year knows there is no such thing as a secure computer, bar none, no exception, if it is on-line . . .
. . . and now, with some of today's technology, it's not, never, nor shall ever be secure again unless it's turned off or we get the oft prayed for solar flare.
Maybe look for something in the pref.js file for browser update or somewhere in the code.
Found app items in about:config but those are mostly for extensions, and add-ons but nothing visible which relates directly to the basic browser.
I would also think, with an MSOS machine, it may be somewhere in the registry.

p.s.: Most Linux-based systems/machines don't have this problem, the update process can be turned off globally.
This is due to the changes made in the coding for Linux machines and general safety.
Doesn't matter what you say, it's wrong for a toaster to walk around the house and talk to you
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

strange and from my view pointless discussion about prohibiting updates in firefox - i just open settings and set my option not to update. no prefs, no screwing on files, nothing silly like that. hey dude - are you same "responsible" with the rest of your used software? why dont you keep it for yourself and dont let people run into trouble they re not able to take? seriously, you probably dont know about problems caused by insecure software not wont you take the responsibility for your hints here. please no arguments like "take it or leave it" - mankind ever was to curious for forbidden fruits. and thats the point why mozilla took care now for its end users and made a final cut to it.

but it is always funny people with
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1; rv:52.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/52.0 SeaMonkey/2.49.1
talking so heavy about firefox.
mightyglydd

Post by mightyglydd »

What's funny :badgrin: are Moz-Aid drinking Cult fanboys trying to convince folks Quantum's not a very dull boring dog with fleas.

Got your talking points to justify Cliqz/Context Graph yet?
#KeepFightingMichael and Alex.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

Edit - Miscommunication problem.
Last edited by Frank Lion on February 7th, 2018, 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

i was not pointing to you, Frank.
unless, of course, you have come across many other Complete Themes that were created entirely within the chrome folder within a week of Firefox 57 being released?
please re-phrase - i dont get it.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

Brummelchen wrote:i was not pointing to you, Frank.
OK, post edited.