Reduce battery usage?

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
Caspid

Reduce battery usage?

Post by Caspid »

Firefox consistently uses 75% of my battery life, even with few tabs and on non-intensive sites. Is there any way to decrease its battery usage, e.g. a power-saving mode?
"Know what I pray for? The strength to change what I can, the inability to accept what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference." -Calvin
DanRaisch

Re: Reduce battery usage?

Post by DanRaisch »

Do you have comparable figures running other browsers?
Caspid

Post by Caspid »

DanRaisch wrote:Do you have comparable figures running other browsers?
No, I haven't done formal testing. I'm not saying Firefox uses more than other browsers, just wondering if there's a way to reduce its power consumption. I know about a "trim on minimize" setting, but that's it.
"Know what I pray for? The strength to change what I can, the inability to accept what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference." -Calvin
Grumpus

Post by Grumpus »

Power consumption in general can be cut by reducing graphics loads, consider effects of Permissions default Image
Simple themes, number of open tabs, opening images from visited sites only and best of all reducing ads on sites.
Look at about:support to see if there is anything not wanted and look at about:memory and make sure which is Firefox and which is Windows.
Doesn't matter what you say, it's wrong for a toaster to walk around the house and talk to you
smsmith

Post by smsmith »

What else are you doing on the machine at the same time? Over how long a period of time are we talking? How are you determining that Firefox is using 75% of your battery use?

Usually the biggest battery saver is to reduce the screen brightness.
Give a man a fish, and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish, and he eats for a lifetime.
I like poetry, long walks on the beach and poking dead things with a stick.
Please do not PM me for personal support. Keep posts here in the Forums instead and we all learn.