Default Browser Setting

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
jtunell1

Default Browser Setting

Post by jtunell1 »

I cannot make Firefox the default browser in Windows 10. All ways I try end up in windows settings to set defaults for apps. But Firefox does not show as an option. Any guidance would be appreciated.
Falnor

Re: Default Browser Setting

Post by Falnor »

Have you tried reinstalling firefox?
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

Hi,
I've found that it's always a good idea to go to the "Horses Mouth" for any problems related to WIN 10.
So, from this thread...
> https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/win ... 5de?auth=1
Go to the 2nd page responses & scroll down to the post by "JoeNamco" who replied on Dec 4th.
It's not in the store you have to go online to get it.
Here is the link,
> https://windows10portal.com/download-firefox/
(Please note that I changed the original posted link to that one, as all it gave was a Google search result which was confusing.)
MS are making it very difficult to install anything that is NOT in the Apps store.

Hope this helps.
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)
mgagnonlv

Post by mgagnonlv »

All I can say is that it works here. But there are a few potential problems.

1. Check under "Control Panels –> Programs and functionalities" (I'm translating from French here).
One common source of issues – not just for Firefox – is if you have both the 32-bit and 64-bit versions of a program installed. With Firefox now having a 64-bit version, it may well be an issue.

If you see both "Firefox" and "Firefox 64-bit" installed, or two different versions of Firefox, backup your profile (just in case), then uninstall all versions of Firefox (if asked for, do not delete your profile and other "user preferences"). Then reinstall the most recent version of Firefox (FF 57 or FF 52 ESR). If it was an issue with registry entries, the reinstallation should solve the issue.

2. In Firefox, go to "Tools –> Options –> General", and check that Firefox is your default web programme. When you do so, I think it will bring you to the "Settings –> Default applications" window and Firefox will already be selected.

Hope it works.
Michel Gagnon
Montréal (Québec, Canada)