MozillaZine

running FF ESR portable and FF 56/57 on same system: OK?

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
LASERXzero

Post Posted December 21st, 2017, 10:13 am

Hi
in the past few years i've been running Firefox on all my systems. Firefox 56 is vulnerable therefore
i stopped using it: but its stil installed on all my systems. I've been using CHROME instead for surfing
the web in the past few weeks/days. Some of my friends already updated to FF 57 but now they want
to return to firefox ESR edition because this version is still supporting legacy add-ons...

My questions:
Firefox is also offering a special version of firefox: its firefox ESR portable. Is it OK to install the portable
version (on a USB stick) and use it on a system with installed firefox 56 (or Firefox 57)?

greets from Germany!

LASERXzero

DanRaisch

Post Posted December 21st, 2017, 2:32 pm

Is it OK to install the portable version (on a USB stick) and use it on a system with installed firefox 56 (or Firefox 57)?

Yes, of course. Running any Firefox version from a USB stick would have no impact or conflict with any version of Firefox running from the hard drive.

danboone

Post Posted December 24th, 2017, 2:23 am

You would not have any problems running it off of your c:drive for instance in folder called portable apps. May run a little faster no USB thumb needed just throwing that out there been doing it for yrs.
Illegitimi non carborundum - US Army General "Vinegar Joe" Joe Stillwell
Don't let the bastards grind you down

the-edmeister

Post Posted December 29th, 2017, 2:57 pm

LASERXzero wrote:Hi
Firefox is also offering a special version of firefox: its firefox ESR portable. Is it OK to install the portable
version (on a USB stick) and use it on a system with installed firefox 56 (or Firefox 57)?

Portable Firefox isn't from Mozilla, it is made by PortableApps.
https://portableapps.com/apps/internet/ ... rtable-esr
https://portableapps.com/apps/internet/firefox_portable
A mind is a terrible thing to waste. Mine has wandered off and I'm out looking for it.

Return to Firefox General