Avast didn't uninstall addons, removed them Extensions list

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
pschroeter

Avast didn't uninstall addons, removed them Extensions list

Post by pschroeter »

I upgraded to Quantum yesterday. I found some replacement addons that did some of what a couple of the ones Quantum disabled did. Later in the day Avast Antivirus flagged two of them as having bad reputations and offered to remove them. I let Avast remove them, but all it seems to have done is removed them from the Extension list on about:addons. Is there another way to remove them? I'm wondering if a future upgrade or even reinstalling Firefox will either remove them or at least add them back to the Extensions page where I can remove them.

EDIT January 5
I thank everyone who tried to help me. This problem somehow sorted itself out. I think installing another extension caused to refresh the list. The icons disappeared and one of the extensions reappeared in the extensions list where I could delete it.

The reasons I was reluctant to upgrade were proven true. Quantum is okay and better than Google Chrome, but as far as i'm concerned it's not as good as FF 56, and to me all it did was permanently kill my status bar, 20 of my extension, and make the tabs and folder icons ugly as sin. I've yet to come close to fully replacing my Scapbook extension which I have been using for years.
Last edited by pschroeter on January 5th, 2018, 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
malliz
Folder@Home

Re: Avast didn't uninstall addons, removed them Extensions l

Post by malliz »

The name of these extensions a secret? Plus it's a bad idea to let an outside program uninstall extensions unless you have no other options the normal method through FIREFOX is the best way to go
What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"
pschroeter

Post by pschroeter »

malliz wrote:The name of these extensions a secret? Plus it's a bad idea to let an outside program uninstall extensions unless you have no other options the normal method through FIREFOX is the best way to go
I thought is was something Avast was having problems with but if you think it will help: Close Tab Context Menu, Navigate Up WE

Avast Antivirus is not some small shareware distributor and I thought they would know what they were doing.
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

Not sure if this is going to work... what happens if you re-install those extensions... if they do in deed install... and you want to get rid of them... after they are installed the uninstall them with Firefox.... not sure what to do other than that.
As you can see she's (The CAT) always alert and on the prowl for Meoware !!
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

"Close Tab Context Menu"
is from "Baris Derin" - although nice and author is experienced i dismiss his extensions in the past, too much "noise".
and from my view futile: "Close web page by Context Menu or Toolbar Button"

"Navigate Up WE" is clear
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

Hi,
You do NOT need to let an Anti-Virus program check for any out dated programs or what extensions it thinks are a "threat" etc., etc., etc.

Go into the Control Panel > Programs & Features & select AVAST.
Then select "Change"...at the top.
Here you can remove all the garbage that you do not need an AV program to do.

It's becoming a whole heap of bloatware.
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

LIMPET235
Good point on that Avast stuff... I just checked my settings in that same area... seems that I UN-checked browser cleanup long ago... I forgot about that... too much to keep around in this old brain :lol:
As you can see she's (The CAT) always alert and on the prowl for Meoware !!