FF has stopped working

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
rgh43

FF has stopped working

Post by rgh43 »

This has happened for the last few browsers updates of Quantum, not sure which one started it. I will be working and up pops a window in the center of the screen stating that FF has stopped working & giving me some choices, like select this & we will fix the problem or send feedback etc. Never happens, doesn't fix itself just wants to close. Now I just hit close and try to reopen but it won't reopen, just get the same message. I have to shut down the pc down to get back into FF. Now I hate to say this as users get offended when you say it doesn't happen with other browsers but it is true & since I don't want to shut it down I just change defaults go to Opera or Google finish my work then change back later. Solves the problem and allows me to keep on working without shutting down and closing all the windows I'm working on. Anyone else have this issue. One additional item, why is there no FF Logo on the toolbar, you practically have to go to Help and look at the bottom to see "about FF" to see what browser you are using.
Frank Lion

Re: FF has stopped working

Post by Frank Lion »

rgh43 wrote:...and up pops a window in the center of the screen stating that FF has stopped working & giving me some choices, like select this & we will fix the problem or send feedback etc.
A screenshot of that popup/error window would help.

I use both alpha and beta versions of Firefox, as well as release versions, and I've never yet seen a message like that. If Firefox or SeaMonkey want to crash they just vanish and it is after that when messages appear and they are not like that.

I'm guessing that is an extension/plugin or an OS message that you are seeing. Either way, not going to get fixed until we can see that error window and can determine where it is originating from.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
rgh43

Post by rgh43 »

OK I will post that the next time as I have no doubt it will. You are correct, the message does pop up after & what it says is FF has stopped working and list 2 or 3 things you can do like let it find a solution, close & reopen along with a couple of other things. No matter what it is not going to work again even if I close it as suggested as it will not completely reopen. Hang on, the next edition coming soon I hope.
makaiguy

Post by makaiguy »

That sounds like a standard Windows popup you get when a program has stopped respo ding.
Doug Wilson
Win10 64bit: FF 124.0.2 64bit, TB 102.12.0 32-bit ║ Android 13/10: FF 124.2.0/115.9.0 ║ No TB for Android available, dammit!
What a fool believes he sees, no wise man has the power to reason away - Doobie Brothers
rgh43

Post by rgh43 »

That is what it says along with a couple of other things. As I said above it does not or will not do anything other than allow me to close it, then to get it to work again I have to go so far as to shut down. When IE has stopped responding which is rare I can usually close it to get it to work again. Sometimes with FF I have to hit Ctrl, Alt, Delete to shut it down.