Tempted to stop using Firefox

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
martinlest

Tempted to stop using Firefox

Post by martinlest »

Yet another Firefox update has yet again messed up my carefully customised browser: extensions I rely on no longer supported and removed, buttons shifted to different locations for no good reason (why move the default home page button from the right side to the left, for instance - though that is the least of the annoyances?).

I know that, commercially, a product has to evolve (or die), but this doesn't seem to be balanced against what users become comfortable with. I am really fed up of having to Google how to use Firefox, yet again: especially as it has been my default browser for as long as I can remember (which, admittedly, is getting shorter the older I get, but over a decade anyway).

The last 'upgrade' was the worst. It looks awful. I deleted the folders and copied across the same folders from an older version on another PC. Big sigh of relief, everything back to how I want it.

I am sure that any security upgrades in Firefox don't need to be accompanied by this compulsive redesigning of the interface every time! I have switched off updates on all my PCs and if I lose some security features - well, so be it. I have had enough.
therube

Re: Tempted to stop using Firefox

Post by therube »

Yet another Firefox update
Update from what to what?
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
martinlest

Post by martinlest »

From v.56.0.2 to whatever the latest update gave me (no idea now I've removed it).

I guess I could cope with a new interface, if there's a good reason, but not with the loss of extensions that I have come to rely on. The 'Look for an Alternative' option that Firefox puts up rarely finds anything suitable in my experience.

Nothing would tempt me to update the version I now use. I'd rather switch browser than use what I found yesterday after the update.
therube

Post by therube »

Extensions.
Anything not a webextension, won't work, so that's expected.
Lack of viable alternatives, that's expected.
I suppose, you're supposed to do without, in this new Quatum age.

UI/UX.
Ditto.

Instead of 56, you should think about dropping back to 52 ESR, as that still gets security updates.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
BuddhaNature

Post by BuddhaNature »

Martinlest,

Why not just take a calmer approach to dealing with moving over to the latest version. The new version, now v58.0, is pretty good and noticeably faster than pre-v57 FF.

Just download the portable version for now and toy around with that for a while: Firefox Portable

For instructions on how to setup and use the portable see this page: Setting up Firefox Portable

Once you have the portable "installed" then you can toy around with it and it won't affect whatever fully installed version you currently have on your system.

To move buttons around just click on the "hamburger" icon and select "Customise". Then you'll see that you can drag some of the buttons around to what you would like to see.

Also look into how to change things via userChrome.css code. There is quite a bit of activity on the "Support" section of the mozillaZine Firefox forum with people exchanging tips on how to alter the appearance and behaviour of FF v57+ (and upwards). Just look around and ask for help in the Support forum and people will be happy to advise.

I had the same initial reaction to FF v57 that you have, but after a couple of days of experimenting and tweaking it I now have a browser that is very much to my liking - and I had the joy of learning new stuff as I did that. Just take your time and you will get there too. I actually found it fun to experiment and try different stuff.

Admittedly, you will lose some of your extensions. But, that said, just be patient and new extensions will become available in time. Don't be so quick to write-off FF because of this. Give it time and some patience.
therube

Post by therube »

noticeably faster
In what ways?
look into how to change things via userChrome.css code
For the masses, that's borderline absurd. (No, its simply, absurd.)
Admittedly, you will lose some of your extensions.
And is that supposed to be, OK?
just be patient and new extensions will become available in time
Ever the optimist :-).

(I'm not particularly looking for responses, except on the "faster" part.)
martinlest

Post by martinlest »

Yes, thanks Therube. No, it is definitely not OK that all my carefully setup extensions disappear with no warning. I don't use that many but the ones I do are very much part of how I have got used to browsing. Whatever perceived benefits there may be in a Firefox update, it is vastly outweighed by the inconvenience (and yes, annoyance) of losing all that.

Then, as I say, why just move buttons and functions around, for (as far as I can see ) no good reason other than change for the sake of a new interface.

This has happened enough times now: I really do have better things to do than relearn my browser layout every other time there's an update. It's the extensions that are the deal breaker though..

I am so used to Firefox now after so many years that I'd rather not dirtch it, but I shall not be taking any more updates. What I have, I like, so I'll stick with it.
Kevin McFarlane

Post by Kevin McFarlane »

martinlest wrote: I am so used to Firefox now after so many years that I'd rather not dirtch it, but I shall not be taking any more updates. What I have, I like, so I'll stick with it.
In that case your best option is either to use Firefox 52 ESR until May/June before it morphs into Firefox 57+. This will provide you with security fixes for the period. By that time suitable replacements for your extensions may be available (if technically feasible).

Or, use one of the Firefox forks such as Waterfox or Palemoon, which will run legacy extensions, and have no plans to abandon them. See the third party builds forum.
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

it is definitely not OK
its defintely NOT ok if lasting members (Joined: 08 Aug 2004) complain while quantum was announced over a year ago and is present now for 6 weeks (firefox 57) and did no read the forum this time. sorry, but:

This is a SUPPORT forum not the complaint department. We will try to help with problems; we DO NOT TAKE COMPLAINTS!
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

Brummelchen wrote:This is a SUPPORT forum not the complaint department. We will try to help with problems; we DO NOT TAKE COMPLAINTS!
Well, to be accurate, Firefox Support is the SUPPORT forum and here, Firefox General, is indeed the place where we have traditionally taken complaints and just about anything else Firefox related.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
martinlest

Post by martinlest »

its defintely NOT ok if lasting members (Joined: 08 Aug 2004) complain while quantum was announced over a year ago and is present now for 6 weeks (firefox 57) and did no read the forum this time. sorry, but: This is a SUPPORT forum not the complaint department. We will try to help with problems; we DO NOT TAKE COMPLAINTS!
Yes, see what a faithful, long-standing user of Firefox I am, and I haven't used anything else in all that time.
WE DO NOT TAKE COMPLAINTS!
(rudely shouted at me in capitals)...And after all that time I am not allowed to have a bit of a moan in this forum?? The forum is for sychophants only then? What a joke. And don't imagine that more than 1% (if that) of those who use Firefox find their way to this forum either - I haven't read this forum in several months, let alone several weeks; no use telling me off 'cos I haven't kept up to date with Firefox developments. I haven't the faintest idea what Quantum is, never even heard of it (why would I?). Do you really imagine that Firefox users assiduously keep up with all the technical developments that go on to create it? Like most users, I am not interested enough in so far as the Mozilla behind-the-scenes techy stuff is concerned. Do I need to be, to choose Firefox as my browser?. It is just the browser I use; it is in no way a hobby or even an interest (I design stuff for online flight simulators - that's my techy 'thing').

I've had my say and from what I have read I am hardly alone in getting frustrated at having my browser setup pretty much destroyed every other time there's an update. Sorry not to come here all full of thanks and gratitude. (I am grateful for the Firefox version I now have, don't get me wrong! I don't take all the work that obvioulsy went into it for granted).
allande

Post by allande »

For security, I do suggest you go back to Firefox 52 ESR if you want your old extensions.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

^ what they said.

Nothing that exciting in 56 and 52ESR will give you your extensions, plus latest security updates. It'll run out in 6 months, but that, at least, gives you time to figure out what you'll do next.

https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/organizations/
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
therube

Post by therube »

And don't imagine that more than 1% (if that) of those who use Firefox find their way to this forum either - I haven't read this forum in several months, let alone several weeks; no use telling me off 'cos I haven't kept up to date with Firefox developments. I haven't the faintest idea what Quantum is, never even heard of it (why would I?). Do you really imagine that Firefox users assiduously keep up with all the technical developments that go on to create it? Like most users, I am not interested enough in so far as the Mozilla behind-the-scenes techy stuff is concerned. Do I need to be, to choose Firefox as my browser?. ... I am hardly alone in getting frustrated at having my browser setup pretty much destroyed every other time there's an update.
True.
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

sorry, but no, not true. (from my view)
its not only because quantum was long ago announced, its not because quantum is current build since 6 weeks.

its because he speek up now - 6 weeks later - he should have been hitted from quantum 6 weeks ago. why now?
assuming he has turned off updates?
furter "extensions I rely on". installing extensions change users experience. mozilla forced non to use extension, so its up on users responsibility to have this combination working.

well frank, in one you are right - this is a support forum, to help people. but i dont read any question from him how to gain functionality back. the whole positing is a complaint - finished with "I have had enough."
if he want to know mozilla about his rage -> http://support.mozilla.com/

another to mention
I know that, commercially, a product
firefox is no commercial product neither nor is mozilla a commercial enterprise.

another to admit - those words are are a cite, i need to improve.