NoSquint Plus

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
Prince_Rogue

NoSquint Plus

Post by Prince_Rogue »

Is there a way to keep this add-on functional in a pre-57 version of FF?
Frank Lion

Re: NoSquint Plus

Post by Frank Lion »

Prince_Rogue wrote:Is there a way to keep this add-on functional in a pre-57 version of FF?
Yeah, always look at the version history of an extension.

With this one, it looks like you need version 54 - https://addons.mozilla.org/en-GB/firefo ... /versions/
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
Prince_Rogue

Post by Prince_Rogue »

Thanks. I don't know how it updated so if there is a way to keep that from happening again, I would like to know. The add-on is set to not check for updates. I also bookmarked the link as well.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

Prince_Rogue wrote:Thanks. I don't know how it updated so if there is a way to keep that from happening again, I would like to know. The add-on is set to not check for updates.
I just go to a particular extension in the Addons Manager, click its 'More' link and set it for Off update-wise and that works for me. But, it sounds like you've already done that?
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
Scarlettrunner20

Post by Scarlettrunner20 »

The extension author made this extension and others die at 90 days of installation. He's had that setting for some time but he always updated his extensions very frequently so no users got caught by the 90 day end of life of his extensions. There has been a lot of effort to get his extension Theme Size and Font Changer 46.5 (older version) to work past the 90 day kill time but it still stops working and refuses to stay on the earlier version (46.5) that some have reported does not have the 90 day kill "bug". Even with autoupdates disabled, at 90 days, it becomes version 62 anyway (on my systems and others I have read about) and has that horrible announcement that really means Derin''s extensions are dead because they are XUL and he doesn't seem to want those of us still using earlier versions of Fx that can use the old extension system to use his at all. It's a very sad situation and I really miss his extensions (I used about 6 of them for years). A regular poster in the Mozilla Newsgroups made a version of Theme Size and Font Changer that does not have the 90 day kill switch but that is the only Baris Derin extension he did it for and for me it has problems (and it is not NoSquint Plus anyway).

On both my Windows 8.0 Pro computer and my new Windows 10. Pro computer, I have found it necessary to use https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... we/?src=ss instead. There is also a non-web ext version but the WE version works better seems to me and it is compatible with Fx 51 up (and my default browser Basilisk). It's not NoSquint or NoSquint Plus but it is a decent substitute so far (I haven't had it very long). It surprises me that it seems to be the ONLY extension now for zoom that can remember zoom levels at various sites. It does not work well at a site I visit every day -Washington Post - as it remembers the zoom level for the main page and then gets confused on subpages. So, I end up with extremely tiny font for the main WP page so that the subpages with the actual stories appear in a reasonable size font rather than gigantic if I make the WP main page at the font size I prefer. The original NoSqunt and Derin's NoSquint Plus did not have this problem at the WP site.
allande

Post by allande »

Removing the end-of-life or auto-update code from a legacy extension is pretty simple coding. A modified version would not be signed, but in Basilisk it is possible to install unsigned extensions. This forum does not allow posting modified extensions, but if you go to most any other web/tech forum and tell them which version of the extension you want to run, they should be able to do it in a pretty short time. If nobody will do it for free there are sites like fiverr to hire a coder.
Prince_Rogue

Post by Prince_Rogue »

Good to know this, thanks so much. Now its clear why I would find the add-on had updated itself.