I don't want to update!

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
Ashleyj

I don't want to update!

Post by Ashleyj »

Firefox keeps warning me that my version is critically out of date and that I should update, but I know full well that if I do most of the add-ons I use will no longer work.

I am perfectly happy to continue to use version 56 until there is an exact replacement for - Classic Theme Restorer, Cookie Monster, Scrapbook, Tab Mix Plus and Downloads Window. I have checked for all of these and there appears to be no new version that works with 57+ and I really don't want to have to go without them or go through the process of setting up a new add-on. I especially would miss Classic Theme Restorer as I positively detest the look of newer versions of Firefox.

I have a good internet security package installed, and I am extremely careful about what sites I visit, so is there anyway I can stop Firefox nagging me about updating? I have set check for updates to never but I still get a warning every so often.

Whilst I understand that a newer version is probably more secure surely they could have fixed Firefox without breaking lots of the add-ons that people rely on.

Thanks
DanRaisch

Re: I don't want to update!

Post by DanRaisch »

I am perfectly happy to continue to use version 56 until there is an exact replacement for - Classic Theme Restorer, Cookie Monster, Scrapbook, Tab Mix Plus and Downloads Window.
For some of those extensions it's likely there never will be exact replacements because the way they interact with the browser is exactly the way the new security functions are intended to block.
If you insist on avoiding updates, rather than using 56 which has known security concerns, you should consider using the ESR version, currently 52.6, which has the needed security updates but retains compatibility with old extension. See these sites -- https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/o ... tions/all/
https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/organizations/
Ashleyj

Re: I don't want to update!

Post by Ashleyj »

Thanks, I will have a look at the ESR version.