So, FF Quantum ...

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
Brummelchen

Re: So, FF Quantum ...

Post by Brummelchen »

I have gone back to 52ESR
your user agent is telling something different
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:56.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/56.0
52.6.0 esr is not vulnerable, v56 is vulnerable.
with one of the lates fake update messages you will have nuts while using not esr or <v58
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

msdobrescu wrote:Look here:
What for? No one is disagreeing with you, so why on Earth are you still going on about this. This is a forum, not your blog.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

not sure if that conversation will also end in a pro vs cons quantum. quantum is current since 13-Nov-2017 - 2 month later now.
msdobrescu

Post by msdobrescu »

Frank Lion wrote:
msdobrescu wrote:Look here:
What for? No one is disagreeing with you, so why on Earth are you still going on about this. This is a forum, not your blog.
...because I try to prove my statement and the fact I am realistic rather pessimistic.

And to clarify here, I use both now, v56 and v57 (as my distro did not yet adopted the update to v58), on several systems, so checking someone's agent is irrelevant, depends where he was, on which machine, when replied.
Rogueblue

Post by Rogueblue »

Hello again

I've taken the time and "effort" to look more into this userchrome.ccs thing ... but honestly this is far from enough. Yes apprearance makes a difference, BUT it's the customizable user friendliness that made Firefox, well ... Firefox. Now it's just another darn browser. I a mso sadly disappointed.
I still have to jump between browsers. The main thing that still keeps me coming back to FF, is cause Chrome seems to have disabled ability to download videos via it's extensions. Fortunately (for the moment at least), it's still possible via Firefox addons (who knows when this may end?), although also I don't find the FF addons working as well as it used to.
Some say FF is better than Chrome ... maybe in some ways it is, and trust me although I am no fan of Chrome, Chrome still has some tiny basic user features that FF doesn't ... a simple "x" (close button on all tabs, instead of having to click every tab, then close it! And yeah maybe someone whill say, "hey you can change that in userchrome.ccs file" ... whether I can or not, you know what I shouldn't have to.
Basic things at the very least such as this should already be in FF. Good grief, Chrome has it for crying out aloud, why on earth does FF not?! And this is just one example.
User friendliness and customization of brwser navigation, which included a lot of control of tabs, is what made FireFox awesome. It's why FF had it's following and supporters.
No matter what current supporters of FF might say, this is the biog issue, and exactly why users are moving away from FF>
It's like we've been betrayed after years of support to FF.

For Firefox to continue to exist as a unique and awesome browsers, devs of FF need to really step it up, make big changes, and start listening to FF users.
Tomatoshadow2

Post by Tomatoshadow2 »

Yeah I hope they keep the userchrome.ccs around, would be tragic if it was lost.
Rogueblue

Post by Rogueblue »

Ashleyj wrote:Despite what I said earlier about moving on to using Quantum I have gone back to 52ESR. I decided in the end that I just could not live happily with the new Firefox. I was always looking for ways to make it like the old one and not being able to made me very frustrated.

A real pity as I have used FF for many years and on the whole been very pleased with it. I'm sure that there are countless people who are extremely happy with the new version, sadly I'm not one of them.
There are many countless people that are sadly disappointed with the new FF .. it's now just another browser with limitations and frustration of being forced to browse in a limited way which the devs decide we should. FF devs need to find a away to bring back bowser navigation customizeability to make FF at least close to what made it unique, and soon.
Tomatoshadow2

Post by Tomatoshadow2 »

I hope they keep working hard on the Servo engine, I can't wait to see what that will hold.
Rogueblue

Post by Rogueblue »

tomatoshadow2 wrote:I hope they keep working hard on the Servo engine, I can't wait to see what that will hold.
I hope they do impress
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

Rogueblue wrote:It's like we've been betrayed after years of support to FF.
I don't think just using a computer program counts as 'support' in any meaningful way.

Betrayed? Support? You would flit off, like a butterfly, the second Chrome allowed a video downloader extension and you said so yourself.
Rogueblue wrote: The main thing that still keeps me coming back to FF, is cause Chrome seems to have disabled ability to download videos via it's extensions.
People need to understand that there is no 'magic bullet' solution, no 'Servo in shining armour' coming that is suddenly going to reverse the Mozilla hive mindset of the path they have chosen to pursue right back as far as Firefox 4. Even if people didn't get that then, surely the release of Firefox 29 (Australis) in 2014 should have told them that 'something is rotten in the state of Denmark'?

Certainly complaining about them in 2018 over Firefox 57+ is going to be about as effective as throwing confetti in a hurricane. Just use it/don't use it.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
Tomatoshadow2

Post by Tomatoshadow2 »

You are correct again Frank Lion, you summed it up perfectly.
Rogueblue

Post by Rogueblue »

Frank Lion wrote:
Rogueblue wrote:It's like we've been betrayed after years of support to FF.
I don't think just using a computer program counts as 'support' in any meaningful way.

Betrayed? Support? You would flit off, like a butterfly, the second Chrome allowed a video downloader extension and you said so yourself.
Rogueblue wrote: The main thing that still keeps me coming back to FF, is cause Chrome seems to have disabled ability to download videos via it's extensions.
People need to understand that there is no 'magic bullet' solution, no 'Servo in shining armour' coming that is suddenly going to reverse the Mozilla hive mindset of the path they have chosen to pursue right back as far as Firefox 4. Even if people didn't get that then, surely the release of Firefox 29 (Australis) in 2014 should have told them that 'something is rotten in the state of Denmark'?

Certainly complaining about them in 2018 over Firefox 57+ is going to be about as effective as throwing confetti in a hurricane. Just use it/don't use it.
Ouch, there's the little nasty. Frank ain't correct at all. It's just the little opinion of the quantum supporters, and as seen in previous posts, knocking down anyone who does not agree. Yes People have the right to "complain" as you put it, and share there feelings and thoughts, and their dissatisfaction. It's a free world, and often this is where change starts.
If devs don't listen to their followers, followers will go elsewhere.
The fact that I'm here voicing myself, like many other, is becasuse we still have a bit of hope that the devs will wake up and make FF more than what is it, more than just another chrome copy. The fact that I and others are jumping back and forth to other browsers is because FF has lost what it had and we are seeking it elswhere in different parts. And yes choosing FF and speaking out how amazing it was over all these years WAS support whether you choose to recognize it or not. And yes I feel they betrayed that support by not taking users opinions and importance into consideration, and we wouldn't be going to chrome or any other browser even if that had a video downloader.
So put away your claws little one and let people "complain" if they want.
What people and devs and all product develops need to realize, if they start thinking they're too big to take users into consideration, people will eventually turn their back on them. We've seen it endlessly in time.
It's just your opinions ladies and we have ours. And IMO you're so far from "correct".
Play nicely now.
Toodles.
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

Hi Rogueblue,
Please....no personal attacks/comments here.
We like to keep things civil.

We are not the "ones" to complain to nor is this the right forum for any complaints that people may have.
Go to, Help > Submit Feedback & voice your displeasure there.
(Not that it will do much good.)

None of the "Devs" even visit here, AFAIK, so it's a waste of time posting any kind of "I hope the Devs see this" type post.

O.K.?

Plus, there are a number of good video D/L'ders available.
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

Rogueblue wrote:Play nicely now.
Your definition of 'play nicely' would appear to mean 100% agree with every word you write and that's not going to happen and actually the only 'claws out' here seem to be yours, but we all sort of knew that that was coming from your over-defensive opening post, didn't we?

The point I was making, as everyone else realises, is that for comment/complaint to be effective then they have to be made at the right time and to the right people in the right place. None of those criteria fit here.

Plus, it is also helpful if those comments do actually have some effective points to make and reason behind them, instead of just being a mindless rant. ;)
Rogueblue wrote: It's just the little opinion of the quantum supporters, and as seen in previous posts, knocking down anyone who does not agree.
Yes, wouldn't it be great if things were as we wish them to be, instead of the inconvenience of reality showing otherwise?

As seen at the bottom of every post of mine here, I am using the SeaMonkey browser and, as most people here will tell you, have been doing so since 2014.
msdobrescu

Post by msdobrescu »

LIMPET235 wrote: None of the "Devs" even visit here, AFAIK, so it's a waste of time posting any kind of "I hope the Devs see this" type post.
Then this whole place is pointless, because crying on each other shoulder won't help anybody.

Sorry to be that blunt.