Unkown update for Firefox. [Linux.]

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
Thinker83

Unkown update for Firefox. [Linux.]

Post by Thinker83 »

Firefox 56.0, Ubuntu MATE desktop environment 1.12.1

I keep getting notifications from firefox saying that I need to update firefox with a link to update. If I follow the link then it takes me to the firefox website where it automatically starts to download a file for updating called firefox-58.0.1.tar.bz2. There are no instructions or links to instruction on that page. When I unzip the downloaded file there is no readme or any file that describes what I'm supposed to do with this. So then I try and update by the browser and find nothing. So then I try to update with apt but it says that there are no updates.

Can someone please help me figure out what's going on?
Last edited by LIMPET235 on February 7th, 2018, 7:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added [Linux] to the title.
LIMPET235

Re: Unkown update for Firefox. [Linux.]

Post by LIMPET235 »

Hi,
There's a rule that you should take note of...
"If you did not specifically go looking for an update for any program & one pops up from ?
then do not click the link or install it."
It's a fake.
The Firefox update has been going around for a while.
Not so sure about Linux updates though.
Wait for a Linux user to come on.
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)
Grumpus

Post by Grumpus »

You need to go into your software manager for Ubuntu for current updates or open Synaptic, refresh or reload to see updates.
Check for updates in the repositories and not off some other site but make sure you have the main repositories enabled ( in the menu bar for Synaptic)
Your notification is probably not coming from the repositories if there is a .tar.bz2 file.
Remove and delete any downloaded files from the site. Perform and admin level system wide search for the time of the downloads.
Doesn't matter what you say, it's wrong for a toaster to walk around the house and talk to you
James

Post by James »

Thinker83 wrote:Firefox 56.0, Ubuntu MATE desktop environment 1.12.1

I keep getting notifications from firefox saying that I need to update firefox with a link to update. If I follow the link then it takes me to the firefox website where it automatically starts to download a file for updating called firefox-58.0.1.tar.bz2. There are no instructions or links to instruction on that page. When I unzip the downloaded file there is no readme or any file that describes what I'm supposed to do with this. So then I try and update by the browser and find nothing. So then I try to update with apt but it says that there are no updates.

Can someone please help me figure out what's going on?
If you downloaded the file from http://www.mozilla.org or http://www.mozilla.org/firefox/all/ then it is not a unknown update file. Not everything needs to be say a rpm or deb file.

The basics is to untar the firefox-58.0.1.tar.bz2 (58.0.2 is current btw) and then run the firefox .sh file and you use Firefox. Having the Firefox folder in say Home will make it easier for read/write permissions for Firefox updates from Mozilla.

You appear to be using a Firefox 56.0 package version supplied by Ubuntu. So if you are newer to Linux the perhaps Firefox by way of the package manager may be easier for you as Mozilla does not provide updates to third-party builds.

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/in ... efox-linux
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Firef ... illaBuilds
Grumpus

Post by Grumpus »

Thinking on restricting the install to the version in the Linux Repositories was the placement of a number of the files . . .
. . . and various linkages which the Mozilla supplied tar ball might not address.
There's nothing wrong with the Linux version from Mozilla but with some Linux OS versions it's easier and sometimes allows for changes specific to that OS version
Doesn't matter what you say, it's wrong for a toaster to walk around the house and talk to you