FF 56 bookmarks toolbar

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
tonino2424

FF 56 bookmarks toolbar

Post by tonino2424 »

I exported my boomarks from one pc to another via json file but when i imported them on the new pc it doesnt show them on bookmark toolbar nor will it allow me to drag them to it under boomarks history to it. How do i fix this issue?

thx
Last edited by DanRaisch on February 14th, 2018, 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Edited subject to refer to bookmark toolbar.
Frank Lion

Re: FF 56 bookmarks toolbar

Post by Frank Lion »

tonino2424 wrote:I exported my boomarks from one pc to another via json file but when i imported them on the new pc
If this is a new PC then don't use 'import', but just replace places.sqlite, as detailed here - http://kb.mozillazine.org/Transferring_ ... _-_Firefox and you'll get the same bookmark structure as before. As a bonus, you'll get your 'history' as well.

Importing just imports the lot as a lump and let's you get on with sorting them, because it is usually used when adding bookmarks to a pre-existing bookmark setup.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
tonino2424

Post by tonino2424 »

can I just copy this file from old pc and replace it in the same directory where it resides on the new pc and it will work?

thx
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

tonino2424 wrote:can I just copy this file from old pc and replace it in the same directory where it resides on the new pc and it will work?

thx
Yep.

The whole thing in detail is here - http://kb.mozillazine.org/Transferring_ ... _-_Firefox

But, essentially, for you it'll be -

Old PC > Firefox > Menu > Troubleshoot info > Open Folder/Directory >This is your profile > copy places.sqlite file > paste it onto a flashdrive.

Then just do the new PC, being sure to have exited Firefox before you paste the flashdrive places.sqlite file into the new profile (just overwrite the existing one, if this is a brand new profile.)
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
tonino2424

Post by tonino2424 »

That is what i thought. TY Frank.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

tonino2424 wrote: TY Frank.
No problem.
tonino2424

Post by tonino2424 »

I tried it and when i look at the bookmarks toolbar, it is empty. The are no folders or files on it. Any idea why? thx
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

tonino2424 wrote:I tried it and when i look at the bookmarks toolbar, it is empty. The are no folders or files on it. Any idea why? thx
Seems odd, I was only doing this one myself 3 days back. Have a look in the Bookmark Sidebar (Ctrl + B) and see what's going on, if the bookmarks are there and can be moved around.

Forgot to mention, since Firefox 55 and above you also need to copy over favicons.sqlite, if you want the original favicons to show. I dn't bother myself, as they get re-created anyway when you visit the sites.

I'll pick this up again tomorrow, if you haven't got this sorted by then. :)
smsmith

Post by smsmith »

When you put the copy of places.sqlite onto the new PC, make sure that Fx is closed.
Give a man a fish, and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish, and he eats for a lifetime.
I like poetry, long walks on the beach and poking dead things with a stick.
Please do not PM me for personal support. Keep posts here in the Forums instead and we all learn.
tonino2424

Post by tonino2424 »

Just had to click on the "hamburger" >customize>restore defaults. That fixed my issue. thx