Mozilla is gonna remove beta extensions, from the AMO store

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
PadaV4

Mozilla is gonna remove beta extensions, from the AMO store

Post by PadaV4 »

https://github.com/mozilla/addons-server/issues/7163

Can you feel the love addon developers? Anyways my concern is, wont this disproportionality affect nightly users? Considering back when i used nightly i had to use the beta versions of several addons because those had fixes specifically for the nightly/beta users.
tanstaafl

Re: Mozilla is gonna remove beta extensions, from the AMO st

Post by tanstaafl »

That discusses some implementation details but does not explain why they are doing this. I found several other related/linked issues such as 3779, 7435, 4353 and 4317 (Remove beta version support) but they all basically just say its part of 7163. What's the rationale for doing this?
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

tanstaafl wrote:What's the rationale for doing this?
This would be mine - http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... #p14792541

Over recent years, many words have lost their true meaning and to present day users then 'beta' just means 'getting stuff before anyone else'. There is no betatesting feedback value in it and AMO/devs just make a rod for their own back by offering them.

A good betatester is gold, they know what they're looking for and know how to articulate details back to the dev in a way that is invaluable. Joe Public are hopeless at it.

Just my...whatever
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
toolong

Post by toolong »

Just my...whatever

+1