Maintenance Service--install ?

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
bob c

Maintenance Service--install ?

Post by bob c »

Why, every time I upgrade FF--does Maintenance Service put the files on the computer, even when I tell it not to, by a custom install. This is done by a complete install, of the.exe file, not by using the upgrade under the Help-About FF menu. I take the check mark "out" of the install MS and it still does it. Went from 58.0.1 to 59, did it again.
therube

Re: Maintenance Service--install ?

Post by therube »

How are you determining that the Maintenance Service is being installed (rather then just "put the files") on your computer?
Does Mozilla Maintenance Service show up in (Windows) Add or Remove Programs?
Does the directory, /Program Files/Mozilla Maintenance Service/ exist & does it contain maintenanceservice.exe?

The fact that "maintenanceservice.exe" exists in FF's instalDir does not mean that it was "installed".
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

MS is located here
C:\Program Files\Mozilla Maintenance Service

the others are only setup files.

service installed means a "service"
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\MozillaMaintenance

an update wont install MS if not installed before.
malliz
Folder@Home

Post by malliz »

bob c wrote:Why, every time I upgrade FF--does Maintenance Service put the files on the computer, even when I tell it not to, by a custom install. This is done by a complete install, of the.exe file, not by using the upgrade under the Help-About FF menu. I take the check mark "out" of the install MS and it still does it. Went from 58.0.1 to 59, did it again.
The question is was it installed in the first place? Just upgrading and de-selecting the tick box will not uninstall Maintenance Service
What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"
bob c

Post by bob c »

Yes, your right, but--your right.

It's not under the programs in control panel. But, if I take the check out of the box, (not to uninstall-but not to install), to not put anything at all on the computer of maintenance service, then I would expect it to just that. But it still puts maintenance service.exe, maintenance service installer, in the firefox directory. It also puts the entries, on my computer, in the win7 registry, and I have told it not to.

Just leery about what FF does anymore. Just 2 days ago, yet again, even though I have read I don't know how much about this, done everything I thought possible to stop it, FF ESR did a compatibility check on extensions yet again, and took my ESR out, the way I want it. Believe me, I've done everything I thought was possible to stop it from doing that, and it did it again.

So if I tell it to not install something, (it asked me), and I tell it not to, as far as I'm concerned, it should not put anything on the computer having anything to do with it.

Just for the record, FF Quantum is our main browser now, we really like it. Customized now, looks, interface-colors etc., just like ESR.
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

But it still puts maintenance service.exe, maintenance service installer, in the firefox directory. It also puts the entries, on my computer, in the win7 registry, and I have told it not to.
thats regular, get along with it, or kick firefox.
bob c

Post by bob c »

Brummelchen wrote:
But it still puts maintenance service.exe, maintenance service installer, in the firefox directory. It also puts the entries, on my computer, in the win7 registry, and I have told it not to.
thats regular, get along with it, or kick firefox.

Kick FF ????? Geez
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

what do you expect now from us or mozilla?
it was shown and explained why and how it works.
any other would blow the technical details and is not recommended.