Problem with Firefox and LinkStash

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
SoCu

Problem with Firefox and LinkStash

Post by SoCu »

Hi, I'm trying LinkStash, it worked well for me until Firefox was updated with the latest version.

LinkStash works well with other browsers, except for Firefox, which now displays a message saying that it does not detect the browser.

I suppose that someone used LinkStash, because, from the comments, they say that it is one of the best bookmark/favourite administrators, if anyone knows why it doesn't work, and how to fix it, I would appreciate it if you would comment something, since I tried to ask on the official page, but it doesn't let me finish the registration process, anyway, I think they would say that LinkStash works well, that it would be a Firefox problem, because as far as I have seen it has been working, and since the last updates have stopped working.

P.D. Sorry if I don't get my typing right, I use Google to translate.
Brummelchen

Re: Problem with Firefox and LinkStash

Post by Brummelchen »

Linkstash is a 3rd-party software - i suggest you to ask support
http://www.xrayz.co.uk/linkstash/
http://www.xrayz.co.uk/support/

claim help because you have paid for it.
SoCu

Post by SoCu »

It can be paid, or not, 30 days use absolutely free.

http://www.xrayz.co.uk/download/linkstash
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

firefox did not changed anything in structure, maybe in files - and linkstash is not able to read the new format -> remain linkstash problem -> support. sorry.
SoCu

Post by SoCu »

Thank you, I have already sent them an email, to see if they will respond, because I see that since 2015 they have not updated it, they have still abandoned the application.
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

because I see that since 2015 they have not updated it
i did not look at it. could also mean that software do not rely on files, only on locations.

a quick test. it need the exported bookmarks.html and a browser location. due limitations of the portable (no trial period) i cant make it open firefox.
although it is outdated it works with the exported bookmarks - should work.
you have to open settings if and where firefox is located and found.

another quick test with the installation.
[...]firefox.exe -new-tab http://heise.de
worked here.

do you start firefox with the parameter -no-remote which makes firefox do not react on further calls!?
SoCu

Post by SoCu »

Hi, I've been checking settings for a while now, and I don't quite understand the evidence you're telling me.

I have tried from about:config, and modifying the true value of browser.bookmarks.autoExportHTML, and it still doesn't work.

The bookmarks are not what I want to export, I try to put the web page I am currently viewing in the browser.
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

library - >export as html -> bookmarks.html
import in linkstash...
linkstash calls firefox with command line.
thats how it works.
SoCu

Post by SoCu »

I've tried again, I've exported the walkers from Firefox to bookmarks.html format
The bookmarks.html file was imported into linkstash, and was added without problems.

I opened Firefox from the command line

Then I tried to add to linkstash that active page that shows Firefox, and it can't be added, it tells me that there is no browser running.
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

have you inserted and chosen firefox as i told you?

see image
http://i1-win.softpedia-static.com/screenshots/Portable-LinkStash_15.png

insert path to firefox and chose with the dropdown!
SoCu

Post by SoCu »

Yes, I had it configured as you have it, I even added the old and forced the configuration, so that it doesn't take it as the Windows default, which is the Firefox browser, but with that configuration I tell you that it is Firefox.

It has nothing to do with the fact that Firefox is 64bit, and what's another thing that the new Firefox doesn't have now, Flash or Java, is that I don't know what to think anymore. And the e-mail I sent to tech support, they don't seem to want anything to do with it.
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

and it can't be added, it tells me that there is no browser running.
image please.
SoCu

Post by SoCu »

If you were planning to put the message that shows when you can't save the bookmark, but don't know how to put LinkStash in English so you can read the message

this is the text of the message

--------------------
No hay marcadores a añadir. Esto podría deberse a que no hay navegadores ejecutándose, o la página que quiere añadir no se ha cargado completamente.

Si está usando Chrome, por favor descargue el complemento para Chrome desde xxxxxx y use ese complemento para añadir marcadores

Google Translation:
There are no bookmarks to add. This could be because there are no browsers running, or the page you want to add is not fully loaded.

If you are using Chrome, please download the Chrome plug-in from xxxxxx and use that plug-in to add bookmarks
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

linkstash failure - outdated as you wrote. firefox has changed and linkstash do not recognise any firefox again. sorry.

at least pretty pointless that linkstash need import to work proper. that is a design flaw for all programs that had rely on a html file and can not work on the places.sqlite. which ofc has advantages because they would destroy firefox bookmarks, history and more.

abandonned seems right because if they really would like to earn money they would have improved. there are others to name link LinkMan/Outertech - but those could also not create a webextension for firefox. linkman stalled on Januar 2017 - no quantum support.
SoCu

Post by SoCu »

Thanks Brummelchen, I'll wait to see if they respond to the email I sent them, but if they haven't fixed the problem between Firefox and linkstash, I doubt they'll bother to respond.

I'm going to see the LinkMan application, see what it looks like, and if you can export now the bookmarks with their corresponding groups that I have in linkstash