Allow multiple instances of (different) Firefox windows?

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
pstover

Allow multiple instances of (different) Firefox windows?

Post by pstover »

Assume I have various Firefox installations on my hard disk:

- "normal" Firefox
- portable Firefox
- Firefox ESR

Assume I have currently opened the normal Firefox. Then I cannot start Firefox ESR.
I am told to close at first the other Firefox window.

How can I allow the use multiple Firefix instances (of diffrent version)?

Peter
malliz
Folder@Home

Re: Allow multiple instances of (different) Firefox windows?

Post by malliz »

I hope you are not using the same profile for all versions? You used to be able to use -no-remote
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Opening_a_new ... er_profile
(may have been deprecated?)
What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"
James

Post by James »

pstover wrote:Assume I have various Firefox installations on my hard disk:

- "normal" Firefox

- Firefox ESR

Assume I have currently opened the normal Firefox. Then I cannot start Firefox ESR.
I am told to close at first the other Firefox window.

How can I allow the use multiple Firefix instances (of diffrent version)?
You cannot run another instance of Firefox on the same Profile as to why another Firefox Window opens in the instance you are using.

Use the -no-remote switch with the -P or -Profilemanager should start a second instance with a separate Profile.

Note do not use the -no-remote switch with the default Profile.
pstover

Post by pstover »

Of cause the instances use different profiles.

Lets talk about the following scenario:

I start the "normal" firefox" with the "main" profile.

Now I start portable Firefox which should use its own Profile in the portable "Data" folder.
But this second instance of firefox doesn't even come to the stage of reading its own second profile.
It looks into current process list ...and detects another version of already firefox running, pop up a warning and refuses to start.

So again: Can I force a second Firefox (with its own, second profile) to start even when another firefox version (with an own, first profile) runs already?
therube

Post by therube »

Outside of "portable" (cause I don't really know what to expect from it, though I did run a "portable" version of Pale Moon just yesterday), you can certainly run as many versions of FF or even multiple instances of the same versions, simultaneously, as you want.

So yes, you can have FF 60 & FF 52 ESR & FF 56 & ... all running, not interfering with one another.
(With caveats, of course. Like taking care to disable browser updates. Using separate Profiles for each version...)

Using Release, ESR, Beta, Aurora, and/or Nightly together.
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
pstover

Post by pstover »

therube wrote:Outside of "portable" (cause I don't really know what to expect from it, though I did run a "portable" version of Pale Moon just yesterday), you can certainly run as many versions of FF or even multiple instances of the same versions, simultaneously, as you want.

So yes, you can have FF 60 & FF 52 ESR & FF 56 & ... all running, not interfering with one another.
This is NOT true.

Example:
1. I started Firefox v60.0.1 ----> works
2. I double click on portable Firefox ESR v52.8.0 and got the following error (see snapshot):

http://easycaptures.com/fs/uploaded/1137/4191978388.png

So different Firefox version can NOT run in parallel out-of-the-box.

Again: Is there a workaround?
GHM113

Post by GHM113 »

@pstover I think portable version is the source of the problem.
Sorry for my poor English.
therube

Post by therube »

Outside of "portable" (cause I don't really know what to expect from it
Try running FF 60 with the -no-remote switch.
Then see if portable will run?

Otherwise, forum threads on the PM end seem to indicate that it & non-portable FF can run simultaneously - with caveats.
Adding an, AllowMultipleInstances=true in FirefoxPortable.ini & or using a batch file & setting: set MOZ_NO_REMOTE=1.
(I tried, quickly, with an old SeaMonkey paf, but didn't get it work. Perhaps portable didn't support such things, at the time?)
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

pstover wrote:So again: Can I force a second Firefox (with its own, second profile) to start even when another firefox version (with an own, first profile) runs already?
pstover wrote: Again: Is there a workaround?
Again, try reading this - http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... #p14800618

This time try and understand, or search for, what is written there, instead of just 'again' repeating yourself, like a parrot.

If you have special needs or something, let us know and we'll arrange for someone to explain it to you.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
the-edmeister

Post by the-edmeister »

therube wrote: Adding an, AllowMultipleInstances=true in FirefoxPortable.ini
That works for me in Firefox 41.0.1 Portable, but with Firefox 57.0.2 Portable I can't find that FirefoxPortable.ini file. My guess is that multiple processes "screwed the pooch" for that modification.

BUT - best to ask about that in the correct support forum.
http://portableapps.com/forums/support/firefox_portable

A mind is a terrible thing to waste. Mine has wandered off and I'm out looking for it.
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

I use the installed ESR Firefox in its normal area on disk.
I then use the Portable Apps manager and using that tool I've installed Firefox ESR and the latest Quantum. I've had it that way for quite a long time now... I have the portable ESR in there so that when the release that would mess up my current Quality ESR (I won't be updating that installed version) will only be hitting that portable version.

Anyway, maybe the OP installed the portable stuff in the normal Firefox area in disc...and if so, that is causing the issue??? I have all my portable stuff in its own folder down there under my name. Also... just checked... all those portable Firefox apps have that AllowMultipleInstances=true

Bottom line = I have no problems running all 3 Firefox's at the same time.
As you can see she's (The CAT) always alert and on the prowl for Meoware !!
lovemyfoxy

Post by lovemyfoxy »

OP--if this hasn't yet been solved--
I use an extension called Profile Switcher, which puts an icon in the toolbar, and allows me to open either profile when the other is already running. It has to be installed in each profile. It's more user-friendly than the -no-remote switch. But I haven't tested it on the portable.
2 Desktops--Win 7 Ult.SP1 x64/6GB RAM /Firefox 52.9ESR/Waterfox64 2022.11/Thunderbird 52.9ESR/BitWarden PW Manager/Verizon FIOS wired network