Browser.search.cohort ++ (Linux, maybe)

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
Grumpus

Browser.search.cohort ++ (Linux, maybe)

Post by Grumpus »

I keep finding a browser.search.cohort item in about:config.
This never used to pop up during regular checks for the word "search."
From what little I can gather it is used for searching data sets and mostly applied to marketing.
As I don't do any market research, leastwise not for many moons, is this an extra or is it something applied by Mozilla for their own use?

Also, I keep finding, on new installs, in the separate cache (not the one in Firefox but under the Mozilla/profgile folder in the system cache the code :

Code: Select all

ce_Kg==

I'm figuring it's not supposed to be their in a clean cache which is not on line? Any thoughts other than delete it.
Last edited by Grumpus on May 23rd, 2018, 4:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Doesn't matter what you say, it's wrong for a toaster to walk around the house and talk to you
therube

Re: Browser.search.coghort ++ (Linux, maybe)

Post by therube »

cohort <sp in your subject: line>, nothing to be bothered about ;-).
Mozilla knows what is right for you :-).
(I couldn't make heads or tails about its' purpose?)

ce_Kg==
I wrote about that here, https://mozilla.logbot.info/seamonkey/2 ... #c14712822.
To me, it would appear to be a bug.
If nothing else a definite oddity.
That said, it does seem to "right" itself.
So in this case, I would just ignore it (really, this time).
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
Grumpus

Re: Browser.search.coghort ++ (Linux, maybe)

Post by Grumpus »

Thanks for the response.
Did an in-depth of four Linux/Firefox systems and cohort is tied to the e10s rollout extensions and plugins.
Depending on which system the optout is shown or something other in the manner of data collection is deployed. Apparently the opt in or out switch is unavailable.
There are different lines shown in each of the 4 reviewed systems and it may be the EOL of the system, even with the latest Firefox, which determines shown items but this is a guess.
All related lines shown in an earlier Linux Mint 17.xLTS disappeared on a restart after modification but remain in one other Ubuntu 14.04.5LTS. (2 checked) and Linux Mint 18.x

The "ce_Kg==" only appears after Firefox shutdown and all info cleared but before a restart of system using the file manager.
Also appears after an update before going on-line. Going on-line it disappears.
I thought it may have been a trigger to deploy or start something in Firefox.
Doesn't matter what you say, it's wrong for a toaster to walk around the house and talk to you