how to exit and save windows and tabs

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
mlassiter

how to exit and save windows and tabs

Post by mlassiter »

I have not used Firefox in sometime and I just upgraded to Firefox v61.0. I have opened several windows each with several tabs. I think that if I use CTRL+SHIFT+Q, I will exit Firefox without saving everything. How do I do it?
smsmith

Re: how to exit and save windows and tabs

Post by smsmith »

In the Options, make sure you have Restore Previous Session selected in General, Startup. If you have multiple windows open that you want to open for the next session, use File -> Exit or Hamburger menu -> Exit to close all the windows at the same time. If you close them individually with the close window button, the only window restored will be the one you closed last. The keyboard shortcut for File -> Exit is CTRL+Shift+Q, but without telling Firefox to restore the previous session in the options, the windows/tabs will be lost.

Edit:
In Firefox 61, that option is listed as:
Options -> General, Startup, When Firefox start: Show your windows and tabs from last time.

Looks like they are doing another round of options refreshing in Nightly.
Last edited by smsmith on July 1st, 2018, 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: added correct option description for Fx 61, which is different than current nightly - smsmith
Give a man a fish, and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish, and he eats for a lifetime.
I like poetry, long walks on the beach and poking dead things with a stick.
Please do not PM me for personal support. Keep posts here in the Forums instead and we all learn.
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

mlassiter wrote:I have not used Firefox in sometime and I just upgraded to Firefox v61.0.
are you using some kind of user agent switcher?
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; WOW64; rv:52.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/52.0 SeaMonkey/2.49.2
for your convenience (as smsmith pointed out firefox saves its state on exiting - if not, try a new profile)
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... ppver=61.0
- tab session manager
- session boss
- onetab (manually)
- mysessions
James

Post by James »

Make sure you are not clearing History either before closing or upon closing.
Brummelchen wrote:
mlassiter wrote:I have not used Firefox in sometime and I just upgraded to Firefox v61.0.
are you using some kind of user agent switcher?
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; WOW64; rv:52.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/52.0 SeaMonkey/2.49.2
Or the simple explanation is the OP is using SeaMoneky 2.49.2 to post this thread. You can set it so it has Firefox in the SeaMonkey useragent.

In SeaMonkey: Edit > Preferences > Advanced > HTTP Networking > User Agent String [v] Advertise Firefox Compatibility
mlassiter

Post by mlassiter »

smsmith,
Thanks. That is the solution. I missed it when I upgraded to v61.0