Extension/add ons reviews - no can do

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
Red_Dwarf

Extension/add ons reviews - no can do

Post by Red_Dwarf »

What is needed to place a review of an addon on the Firefox Extensions site?

I notice that Mozilla has made it essential to use the unified login for most things. I have tried both that, which saves my bookmarks and the previous Mozila login which I have used many times to review addons but neither seem to allow to write any reviews. Am I missing something? Why does Mozilla like to make things so difficult?

I have not been able to find an answer to this question anywhere. :evil:
Brummelchen

Re: Extension/add ons reviews - no can do

Post by Brummelchen »

Manual reviews is only for qualified personal. Or did I missed the real point? Writing comments is only for registered users on all.
Red_Dwarf

Post by Red_Dwarf »

Brummelchen wrote:Manual reviews is only for qualified personal. Or did I missed the real point? Writing comments is only for registered users on all.
Looks like you might of. I am a registered user so therefore I should be able to post but I cannot.

They are called reviews on the Mozilla addons site and I doubt the people who have posted a review are "qualified". Besides as I mentioned previously, I have posted reviews of addons many times in the past but now for some reason I now cannot do it under either of my two accounts including the new one for Firefox.

For example:
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-GB/firefo ... E/reviews/
mightyglydd

Post by mightyglydd »

Guess I'm 'qualified personnel' ?!
I put on my MozFest Dress Uniform with sash and badges, logged in, clicked on one of the 'rate your experience' Stars, and posted a review.
#KeepFightingMichael and Alex.
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

there are options to review extensions - as a qualified reviewer when submitted as part of publishing - or write an official review as suggestion, criticism or anything else.

in the new design you need to select 1 to 5 stars and fill out the upcoming form
in the old design(classic desktop) click "write a review" on the right side.

if you cant fill out the form there is something blocking scripts.

as regular try safe-mode or a new profile, could be profile failure.
if not its system caused, maybe gone wild antivirus.

PS i dont have issues to write a review. but i am not sure if it is published immediately because moderated.
therube

Post by therube »

Let me get this straight...

They moderate (review) reviews, but they do not review the extensions themselves.

Is there something wrong with that picture :rolleyes:?
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

Extensions are reviewed first time by automatic protocols. The submission rate is very high. In some cases in special afair longer existing extensions it's done manually. I think Aris can tell us more.
therube

Post by therube »

Yes, automated review may catch "something", but the let through PLENTY (of malware).
Submission rate (of said malware) is very high.
Mozilla does not distinguish & has no intention of distinguishing, to users, the methods used to "review" any particular extension.
So a user does not know whether an extension has been "looked at" or "looked at".
(Also notice how you can not determine the two meanings in my quoted 'looked at''s. Intentional, just like Mozilla.)
Put another way, a user does not know if they are installing malware or not.

And yet reviews of extensions are moderated.

Laughable (if it weren't such an asinine system).
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
Red_Dwarf

Post by Red_Dwarf »

Brummelchen wrote:there are options to review extensions - as a qualified reviewer when submitted as part of publishing - or write an official review as suggestion, criticism or anything else.

in the new design you need to select 1 to 5 stars and fill out the upcoming form
in the old design(classic desktop) click "write a review" on the right side.

if you cant fill out the form there is something blocking scripts.

as regular try safe-mode or a new profile, could be profile failure.
if not its system caused, maybe gone wild antivirus.

PS i dont have issues to write a review. but i am not sure if it is published immediately because moderated.
There is no script blocking being used by my browsers but one profile, the main one that I use does have uMatrix disabled.

I have tried a clean new profile and that also cannot write a review on Firefox 52.9 ESR. I can make a review, the stars can be clicked to begin the review, on Quantum which I really dislike as a browser.

I have tried an older Mozilla sign in which I have always used to review extensions and that can start a review but only in Quantum. Therefore it is not the extensions in my main browser which are at fault, or the profile, it is the browser version.

The real irony to all this is that there are extensions which are not Quantum compatible and yet only Quantum can make a review for those extensions. Maybe other browsers have more luck. It is getting to the point that other browsers are fast becoming a more appealing option. If Pale Moon got it's act together and stopped being compatible with v27 extensions and allowed v52 extensions like the browser source code is built upon then I would use that. However as it is ATM, important extensions are stuck at very old versions ie v27 compatibility which are no longer compatible with the web shops that they are written for.