What's your thoughts on what Walton said

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
Tomatoshadow2

What's your thoughts on what Walton said

Post by Tomatoshadow2 »

Hey guys, I just wanted to hear if you had any thoughts on what Research Engineer from Mozilla Patrick Walton, said when the old add-ons were killed, it was a huge security improvement for Firefox Quantum. Here's the link to the tweet. https://twitter.com/pcwalton/status/1039224389521170432
Mods if I'm not allowed to post Twitter links, please remove.
therube

Re: What's your thoughts on what Walton said

Post by therube »

Two-faced BS.

Yes, Legacy extensions can do anything & everything.

Yet there was no outcry, no extension apocalypse.
Extensions worked. Were useful. People used them.

Extensions & community made Mozilla.

Now there is nothing but crap.
Crap extensions. Nowhere near as good as their predecessors. Horrible UI & UX.

People, apologists, as I think of them, make every excuse in the book, oh, it turns out I really didn't need, oh, I learned I can do without, oh...

That's BS. That's accepting less!

Why!

We are a consumerist society, we want more, more, more, not less.

And to top it off, currently, the Mozilla webextension process is riddled with malware.
Malware in the actual extensions, & malware in the process of "extensions"; reviews, transparency, open[ness] (one of Mozilla's big "manifesto" words [the other being profit]).
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
toolong

Post by toolong »

Two-faced BS.

Don't hold back!! Tell us how you really feel!!

:D
Tomatoshadow2

Post by Tomatoshadow2 »

I totally agree, I love Firefox, will forever use it, as you said, the whole extensions thing is not good, can I ever imagine them to go back to the old system guys? Most of the compliments I've always read are just about less extensions tbh.
Benjamin Markson

Post by Benjamin Markson »

Patrick Walton wrote:It’s underappreciated how massive of a security improvement it was to kill old addons in Firefox Quantum.
The security argument is a straw man (aka two-face BS).

I think Quantum illustrates two things. It's easier to lock-down the tools than it is to allow your users to control their own experience. Mozilla follow in the field where they once led.

To be fair, maybe today's technology has become too complex and fast-paced for it to be led by visionary mavericks. If you want a career in software then the Silicon Valley way is the only way. Quantum is the Silicon Valley way.

Ben.
XUL is dead. Long live the Google Chrome Clones.
malliz
Folder@Home

Post by malliz »

Another load of Rose grower from the "security experts" who let conduit flood AMO for years. They must have a weekly "think up another excuse" meeting where they get high on Mountain Dew and run competitions to see who can post the lamest excuse.
What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"
mightyglydd

Post by mightyglydd »

But mal they've hired a new security tsar from the GRU Google, https://www.darkreading.com/risk/mozill ... id/1332726
What could possibly go wrong ?
#KeepFightingMichael and Alex.
malliz
Folder@Home

Post by malliz »

involving policy, trust, and security
The trust horse bolted years ago ](*,)
What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"
Tomatoshadow2

Post by Tomatoshadow2 »

Yes well said malliz and Mighty, that should be very interesting as well.
frg

Post by frg »

Well with Webassembly and service workers in the future no one needs to tell me about better security :)

In theory web extensions are more secure because they are theoretically confined to content only. With the planned memshrink (rip out everything this is useful) and more parallel processes this in theory becomes more secure.

Personally i think they were discontinued so fast because they were unable to make all this work properly with e10s.
Tomatoshadow2

Post by Tomatoshadow2 »

Good point frg.
mightyglydd

Post by mightyglydd »

Yep, I seem to recall a MozCo list of e10 compatible extensions, it was seldom updated and the majority of 'Compatible' extensions hadn't been tested !
toolong

Post by toolong »

mightyglydd wrote:Yep, I seem to recall a MozCo list of e10 compatible extensions, it was seldom updated and the majority of 'Compatible' extensions hadn't been tested !

I remember that list. But I thought that is was 'users of the extension(s)' that were supposed to test them and to report their findings. Maybe some of the extensions didn't have many users? Or they did work and it was not reported. People, in general, don't report successes. :D
mightyglydd

Post by mightyglydd »

Hah, that's another subject, if they wanted users to test, why wasn't there a simple e10 On/Off option in Builds?
Farting about with ever changing about:config settings made it a royal PITA.
Tomatoshadow2

Post by Tomatoshadow2 »

Yes, they should of definitely done all of this, especially the e10s on/off switch, seemed to take forever to get e10s.