getting rid of a single prefilled URL

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
MiloShapiro

getting rid of a single prefilled URL

Post by MiloShapiro »

I own a website that I'll call kimkardashian.com (not really, but it''ll make my point)
At one point, I temporarily had someone working on a website for me and he called it kimkardashian.otherhost.com .
It's long gone now, but whenever I try to type in the one I care about and get as far as kimk, it prefills kimkardashian.otherhost.com as a suggestion. Below the line, it's there too, along with several other things before
the one I actually want (kimkardashian.com) in the list. I will never use any of those other sites, especially the no-longer-existent kimkardashian.otherhost.com , but
I can't figure out how to get rid of them so the one I want prefills. I tried arrowing down to them and clicking delete. It still prefills the next time.
How do i get those specific prefills out of there?
Milo in San Diego
tanstaafl

Re: getting rid of a single prefilled URL

Post by tanstaafl »

Suggestions in the address bar are supposedly based on either currently open tabs, browsing history or bookmarks (unless you uncheck it in the privacy&security settings). I suspect you need to search your history and delete the corresponding entry for that dead web site.

See https://www.howtogeek.com/244044/how-to ... n-firefox/
MiloShapiro

Post by MiloShapiro »

no other tabs or windows are open.
I tried going into history, searching for otherhost, and deleting every entry there.
Still happening.
Wait...I did it! It wasn't in any of my timed history, but there's something called tags.
I don't know what that is, but i found two occurrences of that site there and deleting those did the trick.
Milo in San Diego
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

MiloShapiro wrote: Wait...I did it! It wasn't in any of my timed history, but there's something called tags.
I don't know what that is, but i found two occurrences of that site there and deleting those did the trick.
Probably something along these lines.
Bookmark Tags - Categorize bookmarks to make them easy to find | Firefox Help
As you can see she's (The CAT) always alert and on the prowl for Meoware !!
mgagnonlv

Post by mgagnonlv »

@MiloShapiro

If I understand correctly your situation, here is the solution:

1. Make sure the address is not bookmarked, because step 2 won't work if it is bookmarked.
To check that, open the Bookmarks window or side panel and search for "kimkardashian.otherhost.com".
If you find it, delete or update the bookmark; otherwise, you are OK for step 2.

2. In a new tab, start typing "kimk..."
When addresses you don't like appear in the address bar, move the cursor vis-à-vis the addresses you want to remove and press ALT-DELETE (it's "delete", not "backspace").

Tips.
– It always works for addresses that are in the drop-down menu of the address bar (i.e. those you can select by pressing the down arrow), but it doesn't always work if you delete the address which is presently in the address bar itself. So as soon as you see it appear in the list, go and delete it.

– The drop-down address-bar menu shows only about 12 addresses. So you may have to do the process more than once and for more than one address to delete, for example:
kimkardashian.otherhost.com, kimkardashian.otherhost.com/sample, kimkardashian.otherhost.com/photos, etc.
Michel Gagnon
Montréal (Québec, Canada)
MiloShapiro

Post by MiloShapiro »

I think getting rid of it in the "tags" is doing the trick now, but I'm going to save the URL for this chain in case such a problem ever comes up again because your answer is so thorough, thank you. Never occurred to me to do Alt-Delete instead of Delete.
Milo in San Diego