Firefox update

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
jetspeedz

Firefox update

Post by jetspeedz »

I understand the developers intentions of removing the option to never check for updates. But, what makes FF unique is the ability to customize and have more control of the browsing experience. Slowly Mozilla is going to turn into something people despise for a lack of better words.

I don't want to be notified to update. I update at my schedule and find no reason to be reminded. The work around is not convenient either as each manual update deletes the distribution folder which contains the policies.json file needed to override this.

I assume there is no other way to revert this forced policy back to the older versions of FF?
lasardo

Re: Firefox update

Post by lasardo »

The developers are unlikely to change their mind. The distribution folder workaround is not the only way to stop updates though. If you have Windows 10 Pro (I think it may not work with 10 Home) this explains how to disable updates with group policies - https://www.thewindowsclub.com/disable- ... oup-policy and https://www.thewindowsclub.com/integrat ... oup-policy If you use that method, the disabling will not be reversed by manually doing an install. There are other ways to block updates if you are creative - the update servers are mentioned here https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1125193 If you use a hosts file that looks like this:
0 aus.mozilla.org
0 aus2.mozilla.org
0 aus3.mozilla.org
0 aus4.mozilla.org
0 aus5.mozilla.org
I think that will block updates.
Another option to prevent updates, however it does not stop nags, is uninstall the mozilla maintenance service . That won't fully stop updates, all the service does is bypass the UAC password prompt. But with that service removed, assuming you run as a standard user, an update will ask you for the admin password and if you click cancel it will not install.

Another possibility, although it is a temporary solution, is use Firefox 60.* ESR. Until about a year from now, that version will have the disable updates option.
jetspeedz

Re: Firefox update

Post by jetspeedz »

You are right GPO is for disabling add-ons and blocking updates in general, i believe the enterprise add-on options gives you the option to disable updates as well. Never thought about using hosts file but yes that is another way to block updates. ESR is an interim solution but short term to avoid nags.

However, I'm not trying to block updates per say. I'm trying to eliminate the nag the most seamless way possible. I uninstall maintenance service anyway, that makes no difference with the nags. I believe you are right in their own arrogance they will not revert this option and force this down the users throat for valid reasons, but at the expense of upsetting their loyal user base. Shame