Finally forced myself to take the Quantum 'Leap'

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
Invisible77

Finally forced myself to take the Quantum 'Leap'

Post by Invisible77 »

I can't believe I've been here for 14 years! Gone through a lot of Firefox changes. Quantum seems to be quite good functionally, so far. Only been a couple of hours. More learning on where everything is, etc.

And since I have been here quite a while and am an old lady now (with one stroke under her belt), I feel quite justified in saying this is the most Gawd Awful, Butt Ugly, Ridiculous UI I have ever seen. Gigantic icons that spill over my bookmarks bar. Be nice to see them all without doing the drop down, eh? Huge building block tabs. No more attractive, small, rounded tabs and addy/search bars.

Yes. I am crushed. And I have no brain power left to do any css coding (whatever its called) like I used to. Btw, who the hell came up with this? I'd like to have a few words.... [-X

But, you all do see where I still am, don't you? It would feel like a divorce, no? Think about the millions who agree with me on the Butt Ugly thing. Maybe changes can be made? We would love Firefox even more :wink:
Frank Lion

Re: Finally forced myself to take the Quantum 'Leap'

Post by Frank Lion »

MissMinerva wrote:I feel quite justified in saying this is the most Gawd Awful, Butt Ugly, Ridiculous UI I have ever seen. Gigantic icons that spill over my bookmarks bar. Be nice to see them all without doing the drop down, eh? Huge building block tabs. No more attractive, small, rounded tabs and addy/search bars.
Oddly enough, what is remarkable about Firefox Quantum is not how much it has changed since it came out as Firefox 57 last year, but how, under the hood, just how little it has changed!

Remember last year and how the introduction of web extensions was just the first stage and how Firefox was going to be totally re-written and XUL whacked and whole new era, etc?

Well, seems not. Last November, when Firefox 57 came out I quickly recoded one of my old themes to see if it was possible to theme Firefox 57 (they had whacked Complete Themes with this version because of the 'changes') Changes, my arse, it was easily possible, but getting the themed scrollbars was a challenge, I confess.

Anyway, I only did it to see if it could be done and it could and then I pretty much forgot about it. I fully expected it only to last one or two Firefox versions before it totally broke, due to all the huge planned changes to Firefox.

Blow me, here we are on Firefox 63 and it's working as well as it did a year ago. That Mozilla bunch really are total masters of total BS, that's for sure.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
Invisible77

Post by Invisible77 »

Actually, I don't remember much at all these days. Just been plugging along with old versions because I hated the thought of changing how I had it set up. So nice and compact. Now my extensions don't work and I'm stuck with this humongous looking 'thing'. Haven't a clue as to how to make any changes. And no desire to learn! It's so 'mechanical' looking. Steam Punk would have worked for me. But, not this. Ah well. One can get used to just about anything, in time.

Yours looks fantastic, btw! I have no pics of old one.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

MissMinerva wrote:Haven't a clue as to how to make any changes. And no desire to learn!
I think that description applies to most users and why not? It shouldn't be necessary to get over-involved in computer programs to get simple things, like a reasonable looking UI.

The point is, Mozilla could have given users another year to use proper themes and it would not have interfered with their plans at all.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
Invisible77

Post by Invisible77 »

That's the other thing. I should look through 500+ fugly themes and try half of them out to see how they actually would look on my computer? I think not. You are so correct in saying users should not have to get involved in all the computer technicals. Well, 3:15am here. Nitey nite time.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

MissMinerva wrote:That's the other thing. I should look through 500+ fugly themes and try half of them out to see how they actually would look on my computer?
Yep, only around 150 of that 500 would ever work on the current version, but that was one of Mozilla's passive/aggressive little tricks.

They'd get rid of out of date extensions quick enough, but left every theme going back to 2005 on there to add to the 'user experience', I imagine. I recall that browsing the themes was a right pain.

Your point about fugly themes is well taken - there were far too many themes using the same outdated toolbar button sets, reworked again and again and far too many themes where the theme writer had a grip on the technical side, but zero knowledge of the artistic/design sides needed to make decent looking themes.

In the last few years most/all were also hanging on to an out of date method of creating themes which meant they were breaking every time a new Firefox version came out. Not ideal.
lasardo

Post by lasardo »

To shrink the spacing of the Firefox UI you can in the three lines menu click customize it opens a customize window. At the bottom of that window it says density which you can click to pick compact which pushes all icons closer together and shrinks the height of the address bar, if you have not already done so.

As you seem to know, you can find bits of CSS code posted by people. There is some to make tabs rounded https://github.com/FrankConijn/Firefox- ... unded-Tabs https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1182548
lovemyfoxy

Post by lovemyfoxy »

Frank, your attractive UI has no resemblance to what I want, which is to duplicate mine as closely as possible. Not counting the Custom Buttons, which are definitely out. I like just solid colors for a theme. Can I get something similar in Quantum?

https://i.postimg.cc/tJ8zdh4M/My-UI.jpg
2 Desktops--Win 7 Ult.SP1 x64/6GB RAM /Firefox 52.9ESR/Waterfox64 2022.11/Thunderbird 52.9ESR/BitWarden PW Manager/Verizon FIOS wired network
Invisible77

Post by Invisible77 »

So, Mr. Lion. What was it I was saying about fugly themes? Too many? Hurt the eyes? Something of that sort. I personally prefer the most real estate I can get. No, this isn't going anywhere... just thought I would pop in to my original post. :wink:
lovemyfoxy

Post by lovemyfoxy »

(OT--Your tiny raccoon is adorable./OT)

It's just a yellow background theme. The buttons all belong to an extension.
2 Desktops--Win 7 Ult.SP1 x64/6GB RAM /Firefox 52.9ESR/Waterfox64 2022.11/Thunderbird 52.9ESR/BitWarden PW Manager/Verizon FIOS wired network