Firefox becoming less stable with each new release?

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
z0diac

Firefox becoming less stable with each new release?

Post by z0diac »

Has anyone else noticed over the past... 1 to 1.5 years, FF has worked LESS well on certain pages?

Half a year ago I had to switch to Chrome just to log in to my bank web site. Some Facebook pages only load partially - reloading doesn't help. On my online banking, the login page loads, but clicking the 'login' button does nothing.

FF also use to load pages up a lot quicker before too.

But my main concern is that more and more web pages seem to be coming up unloadable with each new release of FF.

Yes yes, I've done all that stuff of loading wthout addons, etc... doesn't change anything. But they all load fine in Chrome (and I'm assuming, Opera, Edge, etc... although I only use Edge on Xbox)

Time to switch to Chrome and finally pack in Firefox or is there a FF version out there that works across all web pages better?
DanRaisch

Re: Firefox becoming less stable with each new release?

Post by DanRaisch »

Time to switch to Chrome and finally pack in Firefox or is there a FF version out there that works across all web pages better?
Nope, not here. Maybe time for you to test with a new profile, with no added extensions, to see if there is something in the current profile causing problems.
Grumpus

Post by Grumpus »

Problem may also be site related, has appeared on several secure sites recently visited.
Some sites are forcing a connection to Facebook and Twitter and if the connection also deploys a tracker it could stall or stop process.
May have something to do with sites trying to extend customer access using Twitter and Facebook.
Blocking these two appears to have the same result as blocking trackers, try turning off the tracker protection in your preferences and see if that changes things.
Might not be a bad idea to complain to the company and not the site manager as it could lead to exploits in the future.
Doesn't matter what you say, it's wrong for a toaster to walk around the house and talk to you
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

z0diac wrote:Has anyone else noticed over the past... 1 to 1.5 years, FF has worked LESS well on certain pages?
What I have noticed is that the entire world is becoming more stupid/lazy and that includes some people who write webpages. Luckily, we are not talking of many sites, however much the Chicken Licken stuff suggests otherwise.

Up until recently, the downside was that they were ignoring the 'minority' browsers* and so we used methods to get around that. But, recently, it seems to me that they are sometimes not coding pages for anything but Chrome. i.e. not for Firefox as well.

Obviously, once again this can be worked around very easily, but the downside of an increasingly dumb world is that it is all encompassing and that there will be those who are fooled into looking in the wrong direction for the culprit and will say things like 'Time to switch to Chrome and finally pack in Firefox or is there a FF version out there that works across all web pages better?'......which, of course, will only confirm the webpage writer's belief that they should only code pages for Chrome.

* the one I use is SeaMonkey and it took me around 10 minutes to get it to work on every site on the Net. However, offer a suggestion more complex than 'turn your PC on' and you'll be told 'im not a programmer..' or something, so I don't bother.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
therube

Post by therube »

Has anyone else noticed over the past... 1 to 1.5 years, FF has worked LESS well on certain pages?
FF itself is less robust (every since they've gone to rapid release, rapid change, rapid demise).
Other then that ;-), FF is probably not that bad.

I'd think, the issue you're seeing is that FF is essentially irrelevant today, & web designers are only specifically targeting Chrome, & if some other browser (FF) happens to work, so be it.
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
Exiled_077

Post by Exiled_077 »

I fear this will only get worse as Microsoft is planning to convert Edge to the Chromium engine because a lot of web developers seem to only develop for chromium to begin with, if they only develop for Chromium, Firefox will probably loose compatibility with even more websites.
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

not here please, see --> http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... &t=3044417
Has anyone else noticed over the past... 1 to 1.5 years, FF has worked LESS
a new profile as suggest could help out most i think. 1-1,5 is the time when chaning from legacy firefox to quantum and most people dont "reset" firefox to get rid of remnants of that time before. quantum behaves different on same values in prefs.
Kevin McFarlane

Post by Kevin McFarlane »

Exiled_077 wrote:I fear this will only get worse as Microsoft is planning to convert Edge to the Chromium engine because a lot of web developers seem to only develop for chromium to begin with, if they only develop for Chromium, Firefox will probably loose compatibility with even more websites.
Brave has also just gone full Chromium as well.
therube

Post by therube »

(Brave has always been Chromium-based. The only thing "Mozilla" they had were some of its ex-employees.)
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
Kevin McFarlane

Post by Kevin McFarlane »

therube wrote:(Brave has always been Chromium-based. The only thing "Mozilla" they had were some of its ex-employees.)
Article refers to "full" Chromium. They'd been doing their own UI until now.
Tomatoshadow2

Post by Tomatoshadow2 »

Firefox is the last alternative browser with its own engine, hopefully more people will support it to keep competition with Blink.