Defaulting to Yahoo even though I'm setting Google

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
MiloShapiro

Defaulting to Yahoo even though I'm setting Google

Post by MiloShapiro »

On my Win 7 with Firefox Quantum (it says I'm current on the version), I use the settings option for both a URL field and a separate search bar.
For a decade, that search bar has been searching Google .
Yesterday, I noticed my results were coming back in Yahoo instead.
I went to Tools, Options, Search and sure enough: My default says "Google", not Yahoo!
Tried opening and closing FF but that didn't make a difference.
What could be causing this?
~
Since this forum doesn't support pasting images, i've put a screen print of my search settings at https://www.improventures.com/temp
to save back and forth questions about what my settings are.
Thank you!!!
Milo in San Diego
DanRaisch

Re: Defaulting to Yahoo even though I'm setting Google

Post by DanRaisch »

I'd scan for malware on that system.
MiloShapiro

Post by MiloShapiro »

Couldn't hurt, but i keep Kaspersky on 24/7 so that doesn't seem too likely. Doing a scan now, but it'll take hours, probably overnight. I'm hoping for some other ideas since that seems kind of unlikely to me. Malware to point me to Yahoo instead of Google? Who would write that, other than Yahoo? And if it were, it would seem like that would be a very common thing happening, no? Thanks for a good starting place, though.
Milo in San Diego
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

The authors of some extensions or utilities may receive reimbursement for including functionality to force Yahoo as the search engine in a browser. That may not be what most would think of as malware but it's still causing unintended and unannounced changes to ones browsing experience.
MiloShapiro

Post by MiloShapiro »

that doesn't sound like something that Kaspersky would pick up. So do i have to start eliminating all my add-ons to isolate this? That sounds very time consuming. Esp since I can sometimes temporarily get the problem to go away, but then it comes back again so testing is difficult.
Milo in San Diego
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Have you tried starting Firefox in Mozilla Safe Mode? http://kb.mozillazine.org/Safe_mode
If no improvement using Safe Mode, do you have the same problem if you create a new profile and test it with no extensions or non-default themes installed? Note that the new profile would be for testing/diagnostic purposes and that your existing profile would be retained and available for you to use.
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_Manager
and
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Creating_a_ne ... on_Windows
therube

Post by therube »

That may not be what most would think of as malware
I would.
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
Odin2

Post by Odin2 »

Milo, I was able to reverse this Yahoo search hijack in 2 seconds. See my (second) post at http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... #p14820445. Hope it works for you!
MiloShapiro

Post by MiloShapiro »

Well, my experience was a little different. I found that Safe mode worked fine and when I returned to the regular mode, the problem was back. But then I got busy with life for a day or so and, as my computer was dragging, I rebooted. Computer in general is better and for a while, I had Google and hoped this was gone. Just went to test it for good measure before posting this to you all: back to being Hijacked to Yahoo. So it sounds like I have to try what Dan suggested next, even though that's currently a bit over my head. And if it works, it still doesn't tell me what add-on was the problem as I try to come back to full functionality of FF with the add-ons that I like.

Odin, it doesn't sound like you actually did anything different than me...only that it hasn't come back at you...at least not yet.
Milo in San Diego
Odin2

Post by Odin2 »

Sorry about your bad luck, Milo. I've had no recurrence of the problem so far.

Here' a workaround that may be the best for you:

1. Forget about accessing Google from the search bar.
2. Install Bookmark Toolbar Shortcuts from https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... +shortcuts.
3. Bring up google.com, and bookmark it to be first on your bookmark toolbar.
4. Then bring up the Google interface in any tab by simply typing alt+1.

As you'll see, Google doesn't have to be first on the toolbar for this method to work. Mine was seventh, invoked with alt+7. You can change the bookmark's name [right click > properties] to a1 (or a7 or whatever). If you have any bookmark folders in the toolbar, they should be placed following the standalone bookmarks, as the add-on does not work with them.

Please let me know if this works for you (or how you resolve otherwise).
MiloShapiro

Post by MiloShapiro »

i could do that, but I also have the Bookmarks Toolbar and can just click the Google option i put there if I'm actually going to go to Google.com's home page. I just miss the convenience of the bar always being there.
Milo in San Diego
Odin2

Post by Odin2 »

MiloShapiro wrote:i ...can just click the Google option i put there if I'm actually going to go to Google.com's home page. I just miss the convenience of the bar always being there.
Do what you feel comfortable with. However, assuming you have a new tab (or tab to be overwritten) open, my suggestion will get you to Google with one keypress--and if you were able to use the search bar you'd have to use one click, which is certainly not more convenient than 1 keypress.
malliz
Folder@Home

Post by malliz »

MiloShapiro you are doing the right thing Odins methods tend to just wallpaper over the problem and make it harder to find the original culprit
What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"
Odin2

Post by Odin2 »

malliz wrote:MiloShapiro you are doing the right thing Odins methods tend to just wallpaper over the problem and make it harder to find the original culprit
Malliz, your comment would make more sense if Milo had any inkling of how to find "the original culprit." As it is, he has none, and this forum's previous posts have provided no help. My suggestion will allow Mil to get to Google with one keypress, even easier than if he were able to use the search bar having found that culprit.
mightyglydd

Post by mightyglydd »

Odin2 wrote:this forum's previous posts have provided no help.

Er yes they have, SCAN FOR MALWARE and try A NEW TEST PROFILE, two things you aren't prepared to do.
#KeepFightingMichael and Alex.