Sessionstore Writes - SSD

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
costark

Sessionstore Writes - SSD

Post by costark »

Reddit/FF thread: .... From FF sessionstore Writes (says Ave is 35 GB Daily) and his Apps Writes a guy freaked that at 1.37 years of use he's used over half of his Samsung 850 SSD 75 TB Warranty.
I know SSD Warranty Vs Life are quite different.

SO, he changed his [ browser.sessionstore.interval ] from 15 seconds to 25 minutes saying he BkMks many sites and Session Saves are not critical / Warranty IS.

I Never use Restore Recent Tabs (I see just 10) & I look thru History for past opened Tabs. To Test, I chg'd mine to 2.5 min and History entries are still there after Open /quick Tab Close.
I can't see HOW this 25 min edit really matters -- and IF it saves a lot of FF Writes to an SSD -- WHAT is he losing ?

..... AND a New FF Entry ---browser.sessionstore.interval.idle --- is Default 1 Hour. What does THAT mean?

https://www.reddit.com/r/firefox/commen ... ng_my_ssd/
W10 22H2 - SSD-HDD i5 12G -
LIMPET235

Re: Sessionstore Writes - SSD

Post by LIMPET235 »

More of a Firefox General Q?
So, moving it there...
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

reddit is responsible for reddit tweaks.
about ssd - its a myth that ssd would die earlier because of firefox, tales...
if session files blow up there are other issues to solve than ssd.

browser.sessionstore.interval;60000 (in ms, means 60 seconds, modified)
browser.sessionstore.interval.idle;3600000 (in ms, means one hour, default value)

for this browser my latest session backup is from 12:54 - here now 16:47.

and now start calculate how many times it was written here in that period: none

the tale from eating ssd starts 2016, just rubbish.
costark

Post by costark »

Thanks, B..... TechReport.com test of 6 SSD Drives showed 1st Error at 300 TB and 1st failure at 700 TB Vs His concern over a 75 TB Warranty. That reality I understood.
I just didn't understand IF the difference mattered in having a 15 second sessionstore.interval and a 25 minute one. It didn't seem to affect how I operate but I come to you guys for the clarity. (EDIT: Really wondered what a sessionstore.interval 1-Hour Idle meant in practical terms, not about ms per hour - BUT - since sessionstore Writes don't Impact an SSD that much it's mostly irrelevant, other than the the FF education.)
Do feel better about SSD and FF Writes not being That great an impact on them. Thanks again!
W10 22H2 - SSD-HDD i5 12G -