WTF is this?????

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
Invisible77

WTF is this?????

Post by Invisible77 »

Please Use a Different Browser to Play Pool Live Pro

On Tuesday, March 7th, 2017, Mozilla Firefox removed the ability to play Unity Web Player games. Pool Live Pro, can still be played on Internet Explorer and Safari. If you'd like to continue to play Facebook Games using Mozilla Firefox, please select another game.

Can someone please tell my WHY? If I go to another site to play, I lose all my points. I know y'all don't give a crap about the games I play but, when that's all you can do, it's pretty damn important to me. And please don't give me the pompous ass reply about using Flash unless you have a solution to use my fave pool site. Thank you!

Guess you should tell me the lightest, fastest browser to use. Why is this changed????
morat

Re: WTF is this?????

Post by morat »

Firefox does not support NPAPI plugins anymore which is what is needed to run Unity Web Player games I guess.

Firefox 52 ESR is the last version to support NPAPI plugins.
kerft

Post by kerft »

Plugins are a security risk, for that and other reasons, ALL plugin support will soon be removed from ALL browsers including IE and Safari. To run these things you will (soon) have to use an insecure old browser. To do that best you should use a virtual machine or a trash computer that you don't care if it gets infected and can reformat often. To attempt to keep your points, you would need to copy your Firefox profile to the trash computer or virtual machine and attempt to use it with an old Firefox.
Many old browsers would support the plugin, but to use your old cookies and plugin data I think it would have to be Firefox or a Firefox fork.
Invisible77

Post by Invisible77 »

I want to keep Firefox. I just want to be able to play my game. I go thru Facebook (ugh) to get to it. Opera tells me to download unity web whatever and I do and it doesn't work there.
If I do this: If necessary then you can download Firefox 52.9.0 ESR directly from the CDN server.
https://download-installer.cdn.mozilla. ... 52.9.0esr/
Will it work again? I'm gonna die in a few years anyway. I don't care about all the latest, greatest that firefox is screwing up.
Invisible77

Post by Invisible77 »

Can someone tell me where to download Firefox 52 ESR?

Thank you!
morat

Post by morat »

The site may not allow you to use an obsolete Firefox version.

You may need to set the plugin.load_flash_only preference to false in Firefox 52 ESR, then restart.

Enable NPAPI Plugin Support in Firefox 52
http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2017/03/forc ... pi-support

I would use the latest Firefox 52 ESR portable version to play the game and use the Firefox release version for everything else.

Firefox portable setup files
http://sourceforge.net/projects/portabl ... table%20Ed./
Last edited by morat on March 14th, 2019, 2:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
kerft

Post by kerft »

Backup your computer or Firefox profile first, or at least write down your saved passwords if any.
That link is fine for Firefox 52 ESR, just pick your OS bit and language. Probably 64-bit , en-us
To install it without it instantly upgrading-
Download it. disconnect from internet. Install. Close Firefox. Edit the file C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\defaults\pref\channel-prefs.js
Make the line say pref("app.update.channel", "esrDisabled");
Then you can connect to the internet and run Firefox.
It may still not work on the site, the site may be now rejecting all Firefox users since ones who are up to date can't use it. But it might work.
Note that this is a virus risk, as I said, it would be best to do this with a trash computer. You may be able to get a friend to give you an old laptop that got viruses that you can reformat.
Invisible77

Post by Invisible77 »

Thanks all. Not going back to 52. Need to find a simple, fast browser that still allows whatever it was. Ideas welcome. Or a way around the current situation. Keep running across some Unity Web install thing. IDK......

edit: browser just for that one game I play. Just one. It's all I ask. Just one lousy game.
the-edmeister

Post by the-edmeister »

You use the the Firefox Portable ESR 52 edition.
https://sourceforge.net/projects/portab ... %2052.8.1/

A mind is a terrible thing to waste. Mine has wandered off and I'm out looking for it.
Invisible77

Post by Invisible77 »

Thanks
Invisible77

Post by Invisible77 »

How odd. Today I can go right to my game through facebook as usual. Shame my HDD is dying.....
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

so much red since june, and will increase, just to note it.
https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/security/advisories/
Invisible77

Post by Invisible77 »

What???
smsmith

Post by smsmith »

MissMinerva wrote:What???
He's saying that there are a lot of critical vulnerabilities in Firefox since June when 52.x ESR was last updated.
Give a man a fish, and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish, and he eats for a lifetime.
I like poetry, long walks on the beach and poking dead things with a stick.
Please do not PM me for personal support. Keep posts here in the Forums instead and we all learn.