Saving Password in Browser

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
ScienceGuy

Saving Password in Browser

Post by ScienceGuy »

When I sign into an account in FF Browser, it gives me the option to "save password," "Not now," or "Never for this website. On a specific site I said "never for this website" and now the prompt never comes up when I login. The thing is, I now want to save UN and PW on a specific site, but since the prompt does not come up, I cannot do so. I've searched online and clicked around the menu system to try and figure out how to save a password for this website and I can't find any way to do it. Does anybody know if there's a way to do it? Thanks!
smsmith

Re: Saving Password in Browser

Post by smsmith »

In the Options, on the left hand side, click "Privacy & Security". Find the "Logins & Passwords" section and click the Exceptions button. You should find the website listed in the box that pops up. Select it and hit the Remove Website button. Click Save Changes when you are done, close the options and any tab with that site open after logging out of the site, open the site in a new tab and try to login. You should be able to save your password now.
Give a man a fish, and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish, and he eats for a lifetime.
I like poetry, long walks on the beach and poking dead things with a stick.
Please do not PM me for personal support. Keep posts here in the Forums instead and we all learn.
ScienceGuy

Post by ScienceGuy »

smsmith wrote:In the Options, on the left hand side, click "Privacy & Security". Find the "Logins & Passwords" section and click the Exceptions button. You should find the website listed in the box that pops up. Select it and hit the Remove Website button. Click Save Changes when you are done, close the options and any tab with that site open after logging out of the site, open the site in a new tab and try to login. You should be able to save your password now.
Thank you. Weirdly, the "Exceptions..." button is greyed out and I can't click it. I assume this would mean there are no exceptions. I don't know how this could be because I get asked to save passwords for sites and I know I had clicked "never for this website" for the site in question. In fact, the "Saved logins..." button is clickable and I can see what websites have passwords saved. Hmmm.
mgagnonlv

Post by mgagnonlv »

Note: your menus might be slightly different as I'm using the French version of Firefox

– Open the Preferences window (about:preferences), and click on "Privacy and Security".

– In the section "Identifiers and Passwords", you have two buttons.

– Normally, "Ask to register identifiers and Passwords" should be checked. Click on the button "Exceptions" to the right of it.

– The site that you want to exclude should be listed in the list (ex.: https://example.com), either with or without www (they are in alphabetical order).

– Select than remove the website(s) you don't want to be in that list.

From that point, the next time you will visit https://example.com, Firefox will ask you "Do you want to save the password?
Michel Gagnon
Montréal (Québec, Canada)
BobbyPhoenix

Post by BobbyPhoenix »

Weirdly, the "Exceptions..." button is greyed out and I can't click it. I assume this would mean there are no exceptions.

Not true. I just checked mine, and I can click the Exceptions button, but there is nothing there for me. Mine is empty, so something else must be preventing you from clicking it.
Do, or do not. There is no try.
smsmith

Post by smsmith »

ScienceGuy wrote:Thank you. Weirdly, the "Exceptions..." button is greyed out and I can't click it.
This button is not able to be clicked if the checkbox for "Ask to save logins and passwords for sites" is unchecked. Check that box, and then you can use the exceptions button. But, with that checkbox turned off, that could also be your problem with not being able to save the login. Check to make sure there is no exception for the site, too though, after turning that checkbox back on.
Give a man a fish, and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish, and he eats for a lifetime.
I like poetry, long walks on the beach and poking dead things with a stick.
Please do not PM me for personal support. Keep posts here in the Forums instead and we all learn.
DouglasPhillips24

Post by DouglasPhillips24 »

smsmith wrote:
ScienceGuy wrote:Thank you. Weirdly, the "Exceptions..." button is greyed out and I can't click it.
This button is not able to be clicked if the checkbox for "Ask to save logins and passwords for sites" is unchecked. Check that box, and then you can use the exceptions button. But, with that checkbox turned off, that could also be your problem with not being able to save the login. Check to make sure there is no exception for the site, too though, after turning that checkbox back on.
Thank you even i was facing the same issues and the check mark on "Ask to save logins and passwords for sites" was unchecked, so added the check mark and cleared the Exception list,

Evert thing is Good now.

Regards,
Doug :D
costark

Post by costark »

Original question Edited out ..... Thanks to this Thread it's a lot more convenient now for Forums.
Presume it's Not used for financial or purchase-ready sites like Amazon, at least I won't use it there.
I always thought Saved Passwords was more frowned-upon than is the case now.
W10 22H2 - SSD-HDD i5 12G -