Add-on requires fee??

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
Odin2

Add-on requires fee??

Post by Odin2 »

Upon installing Keeper, I've been surprised to see that with the exception of a "free business trial," it seems to require an annual fee (not mentioned in Mozilla's description). Through the years I've installed probably hundreds of other add-ons, and although many accept donations or charge for upgrades, none have required payment for the add-on as presented by Mozilla--and I've always thought that free access was mandatory. Can you set me straight on this?
DanRaisch

Re: Add-on requires fee??

Post by DanRaisch »

It may not be listed on the Add-ons page but on the extension's home page it's rather clear that it is a retail item with the option of a free "trial", rather than a totally free extension. https://keepersecurity.com/personal.html
Odin2

Post by Odin2 »

Yes, Dan, that's exactly what prompted my question. If this is okay with Mozilla, why is it seemingly the only one that charges?
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Because it is a commercial program configured to work as an extension of Firefox. It's apparently OK with Mozilla because it appears on the official add-ons pages.
Odin2

Post by Odin2 »

You're saying it must be okay with Mozilla because it's there, and (sorry) that does not help me. I'm asking what limitation if any does Mozilla have on add-ons that wish to charge for their use (either after a trial or at once).
malliz
Folder@Home

Post by malliz »

What do you expect? Mozilla was ok with conduit flooding AMO with dodgy extensions for ages and only backed down when the user base kicked up a massive stink. Even then they let then slide back in on the sly over time
What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

I'm asking what limitation if any does Mozilla have on add-ons that wish to charge for their use (either after a trial or at once).
Please remember that we're NOT Mozilla. Knowing what they are thinking or why their policies are as they are is beyond the range of our crystal ball.
Odin2

Post by Odin2 »

No, Dan, I don't expect Mozillazine volunteers to know what Mozilla is thinking or to know "why" it makes its choices. I do hope [not expect] that these volunteers may be able to explain what those choices are. As far as I can see, that's the purpose Mozillazine serves.
Daifne

Post by Daifne »

Moving to Firefox General
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

Mozilla is neither responsible for third party extensions nor its description text. if you want to rant write email to "Keeper Security Inc."

also - if content is legit mozilla will publish an extension. ofc in the past (beginning of webextensions) there was lot of crap.

anyhow - each one is responsible himself when installing an extension. read the license, eula and privacy statement of each extension BEFORE you install it. if a homepage is given -> visit page, this time visit pricing
https://keepersecurity.com/pricing-personal.html?t=p

there is no one to blame in this forum or mozilla, except...
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

As far as I'm concerned, MozillaZine's role is to help users make the best use of Mozilla's products: showing config settings, extensions, deeply buried menu paths, or options that a casual user might not find in everyday use. I see "why Mozilla does what they do" as beyond the scope of our remit.
mightyglydd

Post by mightyglydd »

The OP could also use Forum Search (advanced) >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
There are many threads about what AMO considers 'acceptable'.
#KeepFightingMichael and Alex.
malliz
Folder@Home

Post by malliz »

http://www.mozillazine.org/about/
No not seeing "Mind Readers" as part of our remit
What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"
Odin2

Post by Odin2 »

malliz wrote:http://www.mozillazine.org/about/
No not seeing "Mind Readers" as part of our remit
Not sure who's expecting Mozillazine volunteers to be "Mind Readers." In any case, not seeing it here, I have now searched Mozilla Help for the answer to my original inquiry, and have come up with the following, at https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/re ... emes-abuse, as unacceptable abuse: Requesting payment to use a feature of the extension, where the need for that payment isn’t declared in the extension’s description. Unless I've missed it, Keeper's AMO description (which does include such pitches as "Join the millions of people who use Keeper Password Manager’s world-class security") mentions no need for payment.

I don't confuse Mozillazine with Mozilla, but I thought perhaps someone at Mozillazine would be able to impart that information.
mightyglydd

Post by mightyglydd »

Odin2 wrote: Unless I've missed it
AMO Keeper Extension page.

"Keeper Security License"
When you sign up for Keeper, you can use all premium features such as secure cloud storage, sync, backup and sharing - free of charge for 30 days. After 30 days, you can continue using the premium features for an annual subscription. Upon upgrading from the free version of Keeper or by purchasing the paid version of Keeper with expanded features and benefits, you will be subject to annual Subscription Fees in accordance with the Fee Schedule as shown on the website. You will be required to submit payment annually in advance for the Software. Access to the paid-version of Keeper will be disabled until payment is received. Subscription Fees are billed and collected in advance based on your subscription plan. Third-party application stores may offer an auto-renewable monthly payment plan for the Software. This option will include a 7-day free trial. After 7 days, you can continue using the premium features for a monthly subscription.
#KeepFightingMichael and Alex.