Would you pay for a Firefox Premium?

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
efox99

Would you pay for a Firefox Premium?

Post by efox99 »

Firefox is planning to offer a premium subscription before the end of the year

https://www.techradar.com/news/firefox- ... f-the-year

---------------

Besides possibly including a VPN (which I don't care for) I am not sure what a Firefox Premium would incorporate that would make me want to open my wallet. 8-)
Brummelchen

Re: Would you pay for a Firefox Premium?

Post by Brummelchen »

firefox and ofc its basic functions are ever free, please read more carefully. its about other products and services where usable within firefox, vpn was given as an example, maybe saving screenshots or "improved" sync.

beard spoke 2017 first time of it
http://www.cnet.com/news/mozilla-ceo-ch ... -big-bang/
James

Post by James »

Correction, Mozilla may be offering a premium option of (I assuming desktop) Firefox version by end of year.

Mozilla is the company that makes the Firefox web browsers for desktop (Windows, Mac, Linux) and mobile versions for Android and iOS.

Would I pay, no.

I remember many many years ago the Opera web browser came as two versions. A free version with a ad-bar on toolbar and a pay for version without the ad-bar. It was not until the pay version became free that the number of users jumped significantly on.
mightyglydd

Post by mightyglydd »

Brummelchen wrote:please read more carefully.

I suggest you do, between the lines, and not through Mozilla Tinted Glasses
@NO.
#KeepFightingMichael and Alex.
therube

Post by therube »

No.
Hell no.
(Have a look at 67.0.1 release notes, https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/6 ... easenotes/.)
Now, you are starting to see their real reasons, which has really been obvious for some time now.
It was never about their "mantra", which is also utter BS.
It has always been about $$.
Non-profit, right.

In the beginning, it may have been about a bunch of guys making the best browser out there.
Alas that ship has long since sailed.

And unfortunately, every aspect of the Internet, every sphere that is touched, is the worse for this.

Trust is no more.
Extensions are gone.
Diversity is gone.
Stability is gone.
Usability is gone. You have to be a masochist to use Quantum.
Mozilla is now all but obscure & they certainly don't have anywhere near the expertise to dig themselves out of that hole.
Users are immaterial.

newworldictionary.com: mozilla; just another false god that one is expected to bow down to.
Not.

"the future, they never come back, never come back"
(The song that happens to be playing, presently, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1mdkbkydtko&t=50.)
(The song that happens to be playing, presently, "easy come, easy go" - R.E.M. - Romance, https://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/rem/romance.html.)
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
kerft

Post by kerft »

There is a rumor that goes around the firefox forum on reddit, sometimes with quotes from websites that seem to back it up, that any donations given to Firefox are not used to develop the browser in any way, they are instead passed forward to mostly unrelated non-Firefox open source projects that are supposed to be "in the spirit of Firefox" or "support the open web." (One instance, there have been many discussions https://www.reddit.com/r/firefox/commen ... _used_for/ )
This may be a completely valid choice, as long as donators are aware of it, perhaps the case is that the amount of money Firefox gets is "effectively infinite" in that adding programmers or designers to a project does not always improve or speed it up. At some point, extra programmers have negative value and make software worse or development slower. But, taking subscriptions for Firefox extra features... that seems to contradict the current status quo that, apparently, Firefox does not need more money and any donations are used for other things. Will the subscription money be used to develop Firefox? If not, I just hope that that fact is made very clear to subscribers.
mightyglydd

Post by mightyglydd »

Yep, the browser is just a tool to finance that nonsense.
All one has to do is follow Baker and Beard's TwitBook postings. :crazyeyes:
Me thinks the departure of their Legal Beagle was significant, don't forget the Oath/Yahoo lawsuit still seems to be unsettled....and they could lose. ;)
Last edited by mightyglydd on June 10th, 2019, 7:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

@mighty - it will concern VPN (-> ProtonVPN as co-op) Lockwise and Monitor and ofc Pocket was announced long ago. all services i dont use. the upcoming "Super Private Mode" will be free again. i dont were filtering glasses, just facts. and such services are not available in special builds, they were added by extension and login, thats surely nothing new ;) at least - if people will take something wrong ofc they wont change a bit, if mozilla is not trustworthy for you, why bother and still use firefox?

from someone who is near to mozilla
The Mozilla Foundation is a "non-profit," not the Mozilla Corporation, which is a subsidiary of the Mozilla Foundation. Where "Not-for-Profit" would be more apt and a term that you also read frequently. Otherwise, even deals such as those with Google would not be possible at all in purely legal terms. It is also important to understand that, in the case of Mozilla, we are not actually talking about "profit" in the case of sales. The money fills the Mozilla cash register, which pays for expenses and builds up reserves, should sales plumb. In this respect, there is no contradiction between the profit and the status of the foundation, after all, Mozilla does not make a profit to keep shareholders happy. The money stays with Mozilla or is invested.
mightyglydd

Post by mightyglydd »

Comment's like yours are typical of MozAid drinkers, sad you don't realize many folks are smarter than that and are laughing at you.
I suppose you believe the Cliqz mob are trustworthy too.
Why don't you tell us about the 'investments'?
Anyway, sadly 'zine has become the last place to discuss REAL Mozilla issues..........
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

because i dont care!?
I suppose you believe the Cliqz mob are trustworthy too.
i never had cliqz here - what now?
source code is open and people are investigating. if firefox wont be trustworthy (i mean really hidden spying like opera do) dont you thin palemoon and waterfox author would have dropped a note about? and i cant apply it to mozilla at all. at least you try to and with arguing the wrong person.
mightyglydd

Post by mightyglydd »

Take a powder, you're becoming hysterical..... adios.
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

i have more doubt about people using another browser than firefox and speak up with no reason
your user agent
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/74.0.3729.169 Safari/537.36
btw
sadly 'zine has become the last place to discuss REAL Mozilla issues
those are? please lighten us, the horde of sheep and lemmings.

:p