Clearing cache/cookies/history not working in FF 69.0.3

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
MiloShapiro

Clearing cache/cookies/history not working in FF 69.0.3

Post by MiloShapiro »

In dealing with a problem with GoDaddy, they asked me to clear cache and cookies and history on FF on my win10 laptop.
I went to Tools/options/Privacy&Security and scrolled to what seems to be the right section.
I clicked on clear data, saw that all boxes were checked, and followed through with "clear".
It reported: Your stored cookies, site data, and cache are currently using 0 MB of disk space.
~
I then went to history and told it to clear everything and it claimed to do so.
~
I rebooted the computer and went into FF.
Upon entry, it said there was 2M of memory, not zero.
Worse, as soon as I put a "P" in the URL bar, it prefilled "paypal.com".
That should have been gone!
Tried this repeatedly and it's repeatedly the same.
~
GoDaddy won't work with me on the main problem until I can get this basic problem to work.
Why isn't my stuff clearing?
~
Oh, and I tried adding in the "Delete cookies and site data when Firefox is closed" option and it didn't help.
Thank you for any and all support!
Milo in San Diego
kerft

Re: Clearing cache/cookies/history not working in FF 69.0.3

Post by kerft »

Suggestions in the url bar can come from bookmarked sites, not only history. There is a choice for that in options. So if you have paypal bookmarked that would explain that. You can select only "open tabs" or uncheck all boxes under Address bar, when using the address bar suggest. If you uncheck bookmarks and open tabs you should only see history, or you can uncheck all to get no suggestions.
As soon as you start Firefox after clearing, a small amount of cache usage is normal. You can go to in the URL bar about:cache and click "list cache entries" and you may see they are ones from your home page, or I have a few after a restart after clearing from services.mozilla.com related to automatic protection or update features.
After you resolve the problem, you may want to uncheck "delete .... when firefox is closed" as it may prevent nice features like session restore from working.
Brummelchen

Re: Clearing cache/cookies/history not working in FF 69.0.3

Post by Brummelchen »

profile messed up, simple as that.

Troubleshoot and diagnose Firefox problems
create a new profile
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Creating_a_ne ... on_Windows
or
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_Manager

if that wont help, maybe another antivirus then windows defender confusing.
the magic number is 51 and you are probably part of it :p