Firefox and Discord

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
Zosimos

Firefox and Discord

Post by Zosimos »

As Chrome is becoming more and more of an on-ramp to the Borgle Collective, I am trying to get rid of it. Since I use Discord for a number of things, I'd like to sign in to that with Firefox and not have to use Chrome. But... it doesn't seem to be compatible with Discord. I cannot enable either simple sound output (being able to listen) or input (being able to talk). When I click on the earphone or mic icons with the lines through them, it says "incompatible browser" and tries to get me to download the app. No, I don't want to be borgified by a different collective. I just want to use Discord with my browser. Other people claim to be using Firefox in Discord -- with sound. Yes, I am using some privacy protecting extensions such as noscript. But I have given Discord exceptions. It still doesn't work. What Firefox settings might be blocking my ability to actually get sound in Discord?
Zosimos

Re: Firefox and Discord

Post by Zosimos »

Well, it's not often I can answer my own question. :) But continued experimentation has shown me what was wrong. Following the advice of the ghacks user.js I had set media.peerconnection.enabled to false. But this is needed for WebRTC technologies like Discord. Setting it to true has allowed me to connect to voice channels in Discord using Firefox. This is not too big a deal from a security standpoint because I've already got separate profiles for general browsing and specific social media like Facebook or Discord. So only the social media profile needs it enabled. One step closer to ditching Chrome...