Translation, Please

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
John Liebson

Translation, Please

Post by John Liebson »

Out of idle curiosity, I clicked on the 'hamburger," then on Help/Firefox Tour, where, in my US English version of Fx 72.0.2, I found this:

"Pocinjanje sa Firefoxom-Pregled glavnih karakteristika
Dobrodosli na FirefoxîMi cemo vam pokazati sve osnove da surfas webom.Kada si spreman da ides iznad osnovafpogledaj druge linkove za svojstva koje mozes eksplorirati kasnije"

The entire document is in this language, and a quick Google search for the first word says that it is Croation, which is a very odd coincidence: The town of Crested Butte, Colorado, was established in 1881 by Colorado Fuel and Iron, Pueblo, Colorado, to make coke for its blast furnaces. Most of the original miners were Serbo-Croation, and the early Crested Butte town records were kept in that language.

When I lived in Crested Butte, 1971-1979, some of the older miners were still alive after the mines closed in 1951, along with some of their descendants. I got involved with them during the process of creating the Crested Butte Fire Protection District: Colorado statutes stated that a certain number of petition signatures had to be gathered and submitted to the county commission. I approached some of the retired miners to ask if they would sign; their initial reaction was no, not wanting to be involved. However, they quickly asked me again what the petition was about, and when I said that it was for the proposed fire district, they signed. I later learned why the town had never had an actual, functioning fire department: It was that, given the miners' cultural background, if, for example, a building burned, that was simply the way it was supposed to be. I posited that as the miners aged, they realized that a fire department would be a good thing.

I could relate more along the lines of this, but this shall suffice, as none of that explains why the Firefox tour is in Croation.
Grumpus

Re: Translation, Please

Post by Grumpus »

Could it be your locale setting ???
Doesn't matter what you say, it's wrong for a toaster to walk around the house and talk to you
John Liebson

Re: Translation, Please

Post by John Liebson »

Grumpus wrote:Could it be your locale setting ???
Your question mark key is stuck.

Thanks for the clue. It took me a while to find the Locale setting, as instructions on-line refer to a setting that no longer exists in the Control Panel. Once I found it, it showed that the setting should automatically follow some other system setting, which was correct. Nonetheless, I found a specific setting for US English in the list, and now the tour is in English. (I don't recall what the setting panel said; once you choose a specific entry, the language that had been there no longer shows.