Firefox may soon ask for the Windows Password

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
malliz
Folder@Home

Re: Firefox may soon ask for the Windows Password

Post by malliz »

Actually a very smart move
What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"
Snake4

Post by Snake4 »

is it? what if one was hacked an that hacker gained access to your computer an then gained access to your saved logins/passwords to websites you had saved? what are the pro's an Cons of this?
Nightly Blog
Release Calendar
Posted With Chrome Or Firefox
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

A serious question...
What happens if you do NOT have a Windows log on password to start your M/C?
;)

Besides which, why would anyone want to "trust" anything that MS does?
Security of all your passwords?
NO thank you!
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)
Grumpus

Post by Grumpus »

Seems to me this will have to be system specific or it may becomes another proprietary move on the part of MS to limit access or content. Second thought if adopted generally by web sites could again limit access and be similar to those sites which only accepted MS.
Doesn't matter what you say, it's wrong for a toaster to walk around the house and talk to you
therube

Post by therube »

If I wanted a master password, I'd use a master password.
If I wanted a Windows password, I'd use a Windows password.

I fail to see what good there is if I decide not to use a master password, that my browser would then try to interact with a Windows password (which I may or may not be using).

I log into Bank of America.
Go to Online Billpay.
There I have my payees set up - where I (like who else would have) entered the payees details (name, address, telephone, account number...).
Periodically I may need to update said information.
Well one day, BoA, in their infinite wisdom deemed it necessary to have you work through a captcha - before allowing you access to modify a payees information.

So I set it up (no one else would), I want to change it (no one else would), but I am forced to answer a captcha before I can do so. (And quite obviously, I have already logged in to my account in order to do... anything.)
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
malliz
Folder@Home

Post by malliz »

Rabbit4 wrote:is it? what if one was hacked an that hacker gained access to your computer an then gained access to your saved logins/passwords to websites you had saved? what are the pro's an Cons of this?
You know anything about being hacked? I doubt it stop trying to come up with scenarios that make no sense. If your computer is compromised then most of the time the hacker has access to eveything. In some cases even to the bios level or what passes as a bios level now

As it is if you dont have a password on you pc then I seriously doubt this will affect you. Probably aimed at corporate users who have to have one set although most win ten users will have one or at least a pin.
What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"
Alice

Post by Alice »

LIMPET235 wrote:A serious question...
What happens if you do NOT have a Windows log on password to start your M/C?
When no password is set, Firefox won't require authentication:
Bug 1622542 Unable to see or copy saved password if OS account's password is empty Status: VERIFIED FIXED Milestone: Firefox 76
Alice Wyman
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

Ta muchly, Alice.
Good to know when I eventually install version 76.
:)
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)