MozillaZine

Still saving saving .json's files for restoring??

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
metalman228

Post Posted July 24th, 2020, 9:53 am

Hello all,

Having been a Firefox user now for quite a number of years I have learned to keep a .json backup on a thumb drive in case I needed to uninstall FF for some reason and I wanted to be able to reload my bookmarks just how they were before. I would update the file stored on the thumb drive two or three times a year as my bookmarks change slightly over time as I add, remove or edit them.

About a year or so I decided to become a registered with FF Sync and it is a wonderful tool.

This leads me to wonder if keeping a .json file is something I should still do. Even if I lost everything I own in a fire, every electronic device that can access the internet, all I need to do is load a fresh copy of FF on a new device, log into Sync and presto ! All is good.

I was going to update the thumb this weekend and thought, maybe my time could be better spent making this post then replacing the .json file with the current one.

Thoughts ?
Recommendations?

LIMPET235

Post Posted July 24th, 2020, 10:11 am

Hi,
One back-up is not enough.
3 is the recommended #.
One "local", one on/in the "Cloud" & the last one..."Off Site", say on a HDD or whatever.
Ancient Amateur Astronomer
Win-7-HP/IntelĀ® DualCore-2.0GHz/500G HDD/4 Gig Ram/550Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-20.0-62.0-70.0/T-bird-2.0.0.24/SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.
W.M.Y.C.
(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)

metalman228

Post Posted July 25th, 2020, 3:39 am

Wow !

I guess what I was doing was better than what I was thinking of doing, but not as good as I SHOULD be doing.

Having a moderator chiming in it shows the importance of not only continuing my quarterly .json update but the urgency of doing even more to protect my FF bookmarks in this day and and age in which we live.

So, with that in mind I will be updating the thumb I keep here in my office and adding a copy to the thumb drive I keep off site in my storage unit that has my backup documents and pictures on it.

Thank you for the excellent advice !

LIMPET235

Post Posted July 25th, 2020, 3:49 am

Hi,
You're welcome.

One more item...
You could....no....should "rotate" those thumb drives, say...weekly or whatever, just to keep each updated with your latest info.
Ancient Amateur Astronomer
Win-7-HP/IntelĀ® DualCore-2.0GHz/500G HDD/4 Gig Ram/550Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-20.0-62.0-70.0/T-bird-2.0.0.24/SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.
W.M.Y.C.
(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)

Return to Firefox General