What to make of this?

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
kukla

What to make of this?

Post by kukla »

https://www.reddit.com/r/waterfox/comme ... epartment/

Worth spending any time on this, dismiss immediately, consider seriously, mixed bag?
DanRaisch

Re: What to make of this?

Post by DanRaisch »

Moving to Third Party/Unoffical Builds as this is not really about Firefox but Water Fox.
kukla

Post by kukla »

It may have originated at the Waterfox support site, but isn't it equally about Mozilla, including Firefox?

No diss intended, but did you read through all comments/links, or just stop reading when you saw it was posted at Waterfox site?
morat

Post by morat »

DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

It may have originated at the Waterfox support site, but isn't it equally about Mozilla, including Firefox?
Moving back to original forum.
kukla

Post by kukla »

Update: topic now stickied marked by WF dev as "Misleading."

>>I don't see why anyone would think that Mozilla will no longer be working on security patches for Firefox. And unless anyone has actual proof that this is the case, this is being marked as misleading.
Grumpus

Post by Grumpus »

May have something to do with this report Mozilla Staff Layoffs (recent)
Doesn't matter what you say, it's wrong for a toaster to walk around the house and talk to you
malliz
Folder@Home

Post by malliz »

Come on people some troll makes an attempt at a flamewar on some obscure forum and you turn it into a full page conspiracy [-X
What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"
Grumpus

Post by Grumpus »

No flame war. things appear to be changing further info today
It's not just Mozilla experiencing the effects of changing economic factors due to Covid, it's pretty much global..
Doesn't matter what you say, it's wrong for a toaster to walk around the house and talk to you
therube

Post by therube »

kukla wrote:Update: topic now stickied marked by WF dev as "Misleading."

>>I don't see why anyone would think that Mozilla will no longer be working on security patches for Firefox. And unless anyone has actual proof that this is the case, this is being marked as misleading.
Misleading.
Anything, including truth (& more so now then ever) can be made to be misleading.

Without getting into specifics of a particular post, or link, which may or may not be misleading, look at it for what it is.

Mozilla laid off 250 people.
OK, 250, no big deal.
(No big deal to someone who employees tens of thousands of people.)
Mozilla has (had) ~1,000 paid employees.
So 250 is 1/4 of their (paid) workforce.
And there were not just "ho hum" employees, they were, "individuals of exceptional professional and personal caliber who have made outstanding contributions to who we are today".

Entire departments have been nixed, bye, don't let the door hit you...
(They, generally will get paid through the end of the year...)

One of said departments is "incidence & response" team - whatever that is?
Now, some may read that, not understanding what "incidence & response" is, & conflate that to be "security department".

What i&r is, I don't know, don't know what that means, what benefit it provided we, the users, or if it is any different then a "security department"?

And then other technologies, oh, I don't know, was it RUST (or something or the other)... Again, don't know RUST - unless it's on my bumper. In any case, be it RUST or some other technology, that department too is gone.

Employees throughout the world were laid off. US, Taiwan, Australia...

Anyhow, this is no drop in the bucket change for Mozilla, for (ex)Mozilla employees, for users, for SeaMonkey, Waterfox, Palemoon...

Given how (generally) abominable Mozilla "press releases" are, have always been, given the lack of clear information (in particular the original blog post announcing this), people are left to draw conclusions - out of the air. So saying "Mozilla shuts down its security department" is much like saying "Corona Virus will be gone with the summer heat".

Oh, & lets not bring "Corona" into this discussion ;-), as that is simply a scapegoat.

---

"RUST". So not RUST, but "SERVO" - whatever that is.
Last edited by therube on August 14th, 2020, 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
Grumpus

Post by Grumpus »

. . . or an excuse?
therube

Post by therube »

Mozilla has renewed its lucrative nine-figure deal with Google to ensure its search engine is the default in Firefox in the US and other parts of the world.
Don't think for one minute that Google gives a damn about Mozilla.
The only reason they would do a deal if it is in their interests.
So throwing a pittance (for them) to Mozilla is nothing.

(Heh. If I had read the theregister.com piece before writing my bit, I pretty much could have skipped my post altogether ;-).)
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript