PNC Bank and Firefox

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
tcreek

PNC Bank and Firefox

Post by tcreek »

I have always used the Firefox browser for PNC Bank online banking. Now I receive this message:

"Please try using another internet browser. If you still receive this message, please call the Customer Care Center at 1-800-762-2035 and reference code: 18.5c4f7268.1607351993.139dec7f"

PNC Customer Care could not solve the problem. The username and password are ok. I deleted the cookies and cache and rebooted the computer but still have the problem. They said the solution was to use another browser. I can access my PNC account with Edge and Chrome.

Has anyone else come across this problem with PNC Bank?
tcreek

Re: PNC Bank and Firefox

Post by tcreek »

I tried accessing PNC Bank with Firefox on another computer and that works ok to access the site.
All other links from Firefox on my regular computer open ok except PNC Bank. I deleted my PNC username and password and reentered them but still cannot access PNC without getting the same message to use another browser.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Are you running the same security software on both computers?
tcreek

Post by tcreek »

DanRaisch wrote:Are you running the same security software on both computers?
Yes, everything is identical and everything works perfect with the computer and Firefox. Like I said, their Customer Care didn't have a clue about how to solve the problem. I have logged on to PNC Bank hundreds of times over the years but today a message replied - "Please try using another internet browser."
WaltS48

Post by WaltS48 »

I use a separate profile with no extensions for my banking sites.
Linux Desktop - AMD Athlon(tm) II X3 455 3.3GHz | 8.0GB RAM | GeForce GT 630
Windows Notebook - AMD A8 7410 2.2GHz | 6.0GB RAM | AMD Radeon R5
tcreek

Post by tcreek »

Problem solved.
I went to "Firefox Troubleshooting Information" and clicked "clear startup cache" and now I am able to log on to PNC Bank. I had previously used CCleaner to clear all the Firefox cache, history and cookies but that did not solve the problem.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

There have been many reports on these forums of Ccleaner causing problems when used with Firefox (and Thunderbird) and the usual advise is to adjust the setting in Ccleaner so that it doesn't touch anything relating to Firefox.
therube

Post by therube »

(I'll just point out similar thread in Pale Moon forums, PNC Bank error message.)
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
tcreek

Post by tcreek »

The problem has returned and going to "Firefox Troubleshooting Information" and clicking "clear startup cache" did not solve the problem this time. Also I get the same sort of message at the Medicare site. Other sites are OK. I guess I will have to change browsers until this problem is solved.

PNC message - "Please try using another internet browser. If you still receive this message, please call the Customer Care Center at 1-800-762-2035 and reference code: 18.5c4f7268.1607351993.139dec7f"

Medicare message - Access Denied. You don't have permission to access "http://account.mymedicare.gov/?" on this server. Reference #18.86f93017.1607600786.34186c7.

Other browsers provide access to the sites.

UPDATE - Disabling Ublock Origin now allows access to the sites. Previously, when I disabled Ublock Origin, this did not allow access to the sites.
seeley

Post by seeley »

Just wanted to add my 2 cents. I've sporadically had issues logging into PNC Bank even after clearing all cache, history, active logins, site preferences, etc. This is what I've done to fix the issue:

1. Disable uBlock on all PNC websites.

2. Add a UA String specific to onlinebanking.pnc.com in about:config The UA String I use is: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/92.0.4515.159 Safari/537.36 <--- I'm not sure if this step is necessary. It's seemed to have worked.

3. This is what I just realized after trial and error. I have 3 PC's with the same EXACT FF profile folder. But one of those PC's still had issues logging into PNC (onlinebanking.pnc.com) while the other two had no login issues. (And all 3 PCs are configured almost exactly the same.) After days of troubleshooting, I realized that if the Firefox zoom level is too high, I'm unable to login. I would get an error something like: "Unable to login. Please try again later." On the one PC that had login issues, my default zoom was set to 133%. If I lowered it to 100%, I'm able to login.

Just wanted to mention this.