Re: A radical Firefox redesign in 2021

Post by Snake4 »

Nightly Blog
Release Calendar
Posted With Chrome Or Firefox
Snake4

Post by Snake4 »

i just tried the new Tab Design, doesnt look to bad IMO, for some unknown reason the browser didnt work at all though, i had/have use HTTPS all the time so whether that made any difference i dunno
Nightly Blog
Release Calendar
Ashleyj

Post by Ashleyj »

Snake4 wrote:i just tried the new Tab Design, doesnt look to bad IMO, for some unknown reason the browser didnt work at all though, i had/have use HTTPS all the time so whether that made any difference i dunno
Do you have your tabs below the toolbar and, if so, did they stay there after updating to 85?
Snake4

Post by Snake4 »

Ashleyj wrote:
Snake4 wrote:i just tried the new Tab Design, doesnt look to bad IMO, for some unknown reason the browser didnt work at all though, i had/have use HTTPS all the time so whether that made any difference i dunno
Do you have your tabs below the toolbar and, if so, did they stay there after updating to 85?
no, my Tabs are ontop as default ( thats where i prefer them anyway ) , i reckon they'll possibly turn on these Newer stuff in a week or 2 to get a wider testing done on them, its not hard to try them yaself, but as i think Ghacks says, there not the final design, but it doesnt worry me, i look at it like this, im getting a FREE Browser with Addon support.
Nightly Blog
Release Calendar
Snake4

Post by Snake4 »

https://www.ghacks.net/2021/02/04/firef ... n-nightly/

1 ) go to about:config

2 ) browser.newtabpage.activity-stream.newNewtabExperience.enabled on about:config to TRUE
Nightly Blog
Release Calendar
Snake4

Post by Snake4 »

https://www.ghacks.net/2021/02/10/anoth ... -new-menu/ - Another glimpse at Firefox's upcoming Proton design refresh: the new menu
Nightly Blog
Release Calendar
Ashleyj

Post by Ashleyj »

I just hope they do not make any changes exclusive. I like the way I have Firefox set-up now and have no desire to make it look more like Chrome - if I did I would just use Chrome!

One of the things I hate about Chrome is the lack of customisation. I have my tabs below the bookmark bar, others are happy with them right at the top - some even at the bottom! That has always been the advantage of Firefox, the fact that you can tailor it to suit the way YOU work and not some arbitrary way imposed upon you by designers who think they know best.
Snake4

Post by Snake4 »

Ashleyj wrote:I just hope they do not make any changes exclusive. I like the way I have Firefox set-up now and have no desire to make it look more like Chrome - if I did I would just use Chrome!

One of the things I hate about Chrome is the lack of customisation. I have my tabs below the bookmark bar, others are happy with them right at the top - some even at the bottom! That has always been the advantage of Firefox, the fact that you can tailor it to suit the way YOU work and not some arbitrary way imposed upon you by designers who think they know best.
i dont think you have anything to worry about there, there not gonna change Tabs in a drastic way than they are now , people love Vivaldi's Tab Stacking Feature, personally i find it useless
Nightly Blog
Release Calendar
WaltS48

Post by WaltS48 »

You can enable these preferences in about:config to see some changes if you are using the Firefox Nightly version on Windows, currently 87.0a1.

Code: Select all

browser.proton.appmenu.enabled
browser.proton.enabled
browser.proton.tabs.enabled
browser.proton.toolbar.enabled
browser.proton.contextmenus.enabled
Have fun!
Linux Desktop - AMD Athlon(tm) II X3 455 3.3GHz | 8.0GB RAM | GeForce GT 630
Windows Notebook - AMD A8 7410 2.2GHz | 6.0GB RAM | AMD Radeon R5
Snake4

Post by Snake4 »

im in No Hurry to enable them. i tend to think they'll enable them in 88 an let it ride to 89 to get thorough testing before its enabled by default on 89 final release

Edit : ok i being bored i tried it out an i rather like it, sure it has its Bugs but in time they'll be squashed
Nightly Blog
Release Calendar
WaltS48

Post by WaltS48 »

Been using Proton in my Nightly on Linux and the tab in use could stand to have a little more definition when using the Firefox dark theme,

The developers must have been running out of things to do, so they had to change things to create bugs to fix. :-"
Linux Desktop - AMD Athlon(tm) II X3 455 3.3GHz | 8.0GB RAM | GeForce GT 630
Windows Notebook - AMD A8 7410 2.2GHz | 6.0GB RAM | AMD Radeon R5
Snake4

Post by Snake4 »

Last edited by Snake4 on March 22nd, 2021, 12:29 am, edited 2 times in total.
Nightly Blog
Release Calendar
robobox

Post by robobox »

I've been using those in a seperate profile on my Nightly install (I use FoxScape UC on my ESR install, and another SeaMonkey install if things go horrribly wrong with Firefox)

I do remember that they implemented Photon starting in Firefox 55 with it being disabled and hidden.
- sincerely, robobox
smsmith

Post by smsmith »

Anybody else find it odd that the menu highlight color on the context menus is not the same as the "hamburger" menu, bookmarks menu, whatever the combined history, bookmarks and downloads menu?
Give a man a fish, and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish, and he eats for a lifetime.
I like poetry, long walks on the beach and poking dead things with a stick.
Please do not PM me for personal support. Keep posts here in the Forums instead and we all learn.
Snake4

Post by Snake4 »

i specially find it odd in the hamburger > bookmarks menu , something i wont be using anyway.
Nightly Blog
Release Calendar