Two-factor authentication required for extension developes.

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
Baldape

Two-factor authentication required for extension developes.

Post by Baldape »

Starting March 15th the Mozilla dot org site will require two-factor authentication required for extension for all developers.
I wonder how this going to affect certain developers such as Raymond Hill AKA the Ublock Origin dev? :?:

https://blog.mozilla.org/addons/2021/03 ... evelopers/
malliz
Folder@Home

Re: Two-factor authentication required for extension develop

Post by malliz »

Why do you see it as a problem? Many of us use two factor authentication everyday no big deal and added security
What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"
Baldape

Post by Baldape »

@ malliz
Who said I have a problem with it?
I'm only concerned because certain devs seem to be against it such as The All Tabs Helper dev, who wrote: (If you're a first-time user, sorry this is what you're presented with from the git-go. All Tabs Helper has been around for 6 years and undergone a lot of development. Please give it a try, it really is a pretty nice addon.)
Dear Friends,
As of March 15, addons.mozilla.org (AMO) will require 2-factor authentication for developers to access AMO's addon developers web portal. This means that developers must have 2-factor authentication implemented in order to update addons through the web portal. So what's the big deal about 2-factor authentication, why not just do that?
2-factor authentication requires using a 3rd-party for authentication, meaning I must supply some very personal information to an organization not associated with Mozilla. So why not just do that? I give that level of information to banks and such, why not just give it to them? First of all, well, there is just something that feels plain creepy about all of this. The other thing is I don't like being forced to make my account more secure than it already is. Shouldn't it be my choice how secure it should be? If I don't want to lock my door at night, shouldn't I be able to? Mozilla, like most of the world's entities nowadays, feel they need to make me safe, whether I want it or not. Regarding 2-factor authentication, it is ironic that in order to make my account more secure, and make me more safe, I have to reveal more information about myself to the world (Anyone see the bigger picture of what's happening here?)
Possibly there are other options that don't require 2-factor, such as the addons api and updating through the command line. I haven't investigated that thoroughly. I have always said that when this becomes no fun any longer, I will stop doing it. Well when I have to start jumping through hoops and there gets to be more and more hoops, it starts not being fun anymore. And I am very clear this will not be the last hoop, and this insanity is only going to get worse. We'll see what I decide to do as far as other options go, but I just wanted to get this message out while I could still log into AMO, in case it may be the last time.
If I stop doing updates, after a time AMO may pull my addons page. I have a copy of the latest version here: kevinallasso.org/alltabshelper/all_tabs_helper-1.2.43-fx.xpi. I can't promise that it will be there forever. Folks are still free to contact me through my support email *** @gmail.com.
It seems this is all just part of the handwriting on the wall. It should be pretty clear to everyone by now that we live in a society that is intent on oppressing people "for their own good." I may not just be done with mozilla addons, I may just be done with the world. After all, you can only be oppressed if you fear starving to death, but starving to death is not a problem for me.
Cheers
:-)

As you can read he is creeped out by it.
malliz
Folder@Home

Post by malliz »

Oh for petes sake some people need to get a damned life and go outside for a walk now and then. Sounds like a vitamin D deficiency ](*,)
What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"
Baldape

Post by Baldape »

malliz wrote:Oh for petes sake some people need to get a damned life and go outside for a walk now and then. Sounds like a vitamin D deficiency ](*,)
LOL no kidding right, and I have schizophrenia even I think he's been a bit paranoid. :roll:
gorhill

Post by gorhill »

Baldape wrote:I wonder how this going to affect certain developers such as Raymond Hill AKA the Ublock Origin dev? :?:
I have been using 2FA for all accounts which support TOTP for a long time now, so it's a non-issue for me. TOTP does not require to provide any personal information to any 3rd party.
Baldape

Post by Baldape »

gorhill wrote:
Baldape wrote:I wonder how this going to affect certain developers such as Raymond Hill AKA the Ublock Origin dev? :?:
I have been using 2FA for all accounts which support TOTP for a long time now, so it's a non-issue for me. TOTP does not require to provide any personal information to any 3rd party.
Then why the heck is the All Tabs Helper dev so concerned for?
malliz
Folder@Home

Post by malliz »

Still needs to get out more.
"Terry Pratchett"
mgagnonlv

Post by mgagnonlv »

I am not a developer, but one problem I see with 2-factor identification is that almost all of them use one of the least secure gizmos: a cell phone. We have one at home shared between 4 people depending on who needs it for emergencies. Give me something based on snail mail, credit card information or, even better, a physical key that I could fit in my computer.
Michel Gagnon
Montréal (Québec, Canada)