Best browsers for MacBook Pro

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
brinke

Best browsers for MacBook Pro

Post by brinke »

Just got a new MBP in Fall of 20. How does the latest build of FF perform, power and battery impact-wise? Especially compared to Safari.
I uninstalled Chrome. Too much of a resource hog, right? TY
Snake4

Re: Best browsers for MacBook Pro

Post by Snake4 »

best way to findout an thats to install firefox yaself an findout, people will have different opinions
Nightly Blog
Release Calendar
Posted With Chrome Or Firefox
smsmith

Post by smsmith »

I recently read an article that tested "default" browsers versus third-party browsers that found the default browsers were better on battery life. So for MacOS, that means Safari. And on Windows 10, that means Edge. As with anything, your mileage may vary. Personally, I dislike Safari on my Mac and use Firefox. Chrome has become a non-starter for me.
Give a man a fish, and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish, and he eats for a lifetime.
I like poetry, long walks on the beach and poking dead things with a stick.
Please do not PM me for personal support. Keep posts here in the Forums instead and we all learn.
brinke

Post by brinke »

smsmith wrote:I recently read an article that tested "default" browsers versus third-party browsers that found the default browsers were better on battery life. So for MacOS, that means Safari. And on Windows 10, that means Edge. As with anything, your mileage may vary. Personally, I dislike Safari on my Mac and use Firefox. Chrome has become a non-starter for me.

Interesting, can you detail this? Why do u dislike Safari, and why is Chrome a non starter? I had been using a Chromebook for a long time, so no FF for me. However, very happy with this monster MBP and am impressed with FF.
smsmith

Post by smsmith »

Mostly at the time there was no way to use an adblocker with Safari, which I do not believe is the case now. I disliked the UI, especially how the tabs wanted to fill the tab bar (if you had two, they completely filled the tab bar and if you removed one, the tab became huge), so it was jarring to me to use because click points were never the same. A lot of this may be different now, but I have no compelling reason to change.

Chrome just runs so slow for me on any computer I use it on, be it windows or mac. Again, may be different, but Firefox is still working fine for me, so no compelling reason to change.

I can't find that article again, but I will keep looking.
Give a man a fish, and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish, and he eats for a lifetime.
I like poetry, long walks on the beach and poking dead things with a stick.
Please do not PM me for personal support. Keep posts here in the Forums instead and we all learn.
LewS

Post by LewS »

Re ad blocking on Safari, a few releases back uBlock Origin
was available, but they changed the rules and make it unworkable.
There is an adblocker but it is much more limited than UBO.

Also, cookie management is very limited compared to Firefox
with an extension.