PNC Bank now requires a passcode if you log in with Firefox.

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
tcreek

PNC Bank now requires a passcode if you log in with Firefox.

Post by tcreek »

PNC Bank now requires you to request a passcode every time you log in with a Firefox browser. A passcode is not required if you use Chrome or Edge. Their note for why they require a passcode - "You are using a new or different browser (for example, Internet Explorer of Firefox)."
WaltS48

Re: PNC Bank now requires a passcode if you log in with Fire

Post by WaltS48 »

tcreek wrote:PNC Bank now requires you to request a passcode every time you log in with a Firefox browser. A passcode is not required if you use Chrome or Edge. Their note for why they require a passcode - "You are using a new or different browser (for example, Internet Explorer of Firefox)."
They did say they were going to do that, or don't you read notifications?

I guess I'll be testing that out soon.
Hope they still allow my OS.
Linux Desktop - AMD Athlon(tm) II X3 455 3.3GHz | 8.0GB RAM | GeForce GT 630
Windows Notebook - AMD A8 7410 2.2GHz | 6.0GB RAM | AMD Radeon R5
smsmith

Post by smsmith »

This might be a cookie thing. If you are not allowing tracking or if you remove cookies at the end of session, each time you go to log in the website sees the computer as a "new device" and requires the passcode. Though most places are moving to two-factor authentication as the norm, too, which could be the case with PNC.
Give a man a fish, and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish, and he eats for a lifetime.
I like poetry, long walks on the beach and poking dead things with a stick.
Please do not PM me for personal support. Keep posts here in the Forums instead and we all learn.
tcreek

Post by tcreek »

Yes, I do read notifications and I did know they were going to require a ONE-TIME pass code. That worked for Chrome and Edge but when I attempt to log in with Firefox, they request a new passcode EVERY TIME with the reason in their message that I posted above. They as much as admit that Firefox is not compatible with their new log-in procedure.
Last edited by tcreek on June 27th, 2021, 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
smsmith

Post by smsmith »

Then try turning off the tracking protection or make sure you are not deleting cookies or storage from that site. That's the only way they can know if you are using the same browser.
Give a man a fish, and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish, and he eats for a lifetime.
I like poetry, long walks on the beach and poking dead things with a stick.
Please do not PM me for personal support. Keep posts here in the Forums instead and we all learn.
WaltS48

Post by WaltS48 »

Just logged onto my PNC Bank account using Firefox Nightly with my banking profile, no passcode needed.

There is a notification for needing the passcode when using the PNC mobile app.

I don't use mobile Firefox.
tcreek

Post by tcreek »

When logging on to my PNC Bank account from Firefox for the last 4 days, each day I was asked for a passcode. Entering the passcode allowed me to log on but the next day another passcode was requested. I have not deleted any cookies or site data and the tracking protection is set to Standard.

The PNC message now says - "Please use another browser. If you still receive this message, please call the Customer Care Center." I have no problem accessing PNC with Edge or Chrome so I will use those browsers.
tcreek

Post by tcreek »

I think that I have found the problem that caused PNC Bank to continually request a one-time pass-code to sign into their website. I disabled the Firefox extension, ublock Origin, and have had no log-in problems in several tries for two days. I have had that extension for several years with no problems.
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

Hi,
Perhaps if you posted your finding on the Support site, you may be able to use UblockOrigin on your site?
> https://old.reddit.com/r/uBlockOrigin/
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)
WaltS48

Post by WaltS48 »

tcreek wrote:I think that I have found the problem that caused PNC Bank to continually request a one-time pass-code to sign into their website. I disabled the Firefox extension, ublock Origin, and have had no log-in problems in several tries for two days. I have had that extension for several years with no problems.
That may be the issue.

I have a separate profile for banking with no extensions installed and don't get a request for a one-time passcode to log on to my account.
tcreek

Post by tcreek »

I clicked the uBlock Origin icon at the top toolbar when PNC Bank was active and that dimmed the uBlock Origin icon which disabled the block and moved PNC to their "Trusted Sites". You can do that for any site and also click the dimmed icon to restore the block.
semigeek

Post by semigeek »

The two things I often have to recheck in payment situations (I don't actually bank online) have been mentioned: be sure the site is allowed to keep cookies to recognize your login (my default is discard at end of session), and check permissions carefully in uBlock/NoScript. The latter can require a certain amount of guesswork now that it's common to have a dozen third-party sites active, and can be especially tricky when allowing one of those causes others to pop up which may also need to be allowed in a second round, or when a crucial security site isn't referenced until you actually click to try to login or pay. As a last resort(!) you could simply disable uBlock on PNC. Such awkwardness is the price of script-blocking...
seeley

Post by seeley »

As of now, for me anyway, you can disable the two-factor authentication in your PNC portal security settings if you don't want to use it. But if you login from a new device (or from where your IP address recently changed) it will indeed ask you for a passcode even if you have two-factor authentication disabled. But after that, even if you clear your cookies, it will not ask you again for a passcode provided your ISP didn't assign you a new IP address.

If you have issues signing in with FF, try: 1. changing the UA String specific to PNC's website. 2. definitely disable any blockers (uBlock) for all PNC sites, and 3. make sure your FF zoom level is 100%. (I realized if my zoom level was 133%, I couldn't login) 4. And definitely delete your history, cache, etc. before trying again.

For the UA String, I went into about:config
1. Added: general.useragent.site_specific_overrides - Add as BOOLEAN and set to TRUE
2. Added: general.useragent.override.onlinebanking.pnc.com - Add as STRING and pasted: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/92.0.4515.159 Safari/537.36

Please note, I still sign into PNC using the old login website at http://www.onlinebanking.pnc.com
josegotme

Post by josegotme »

PNC requires passcode on my Edge browser.
seeley

Post by seeley »

pepegot1 wrote:PNC requires passcode on my Edge browser.
If you don't want to use the passcode, once logged in, go to your security settings and disable it if it's enabled.
If it's already disabled, then I stand corrected or it may act differently on various browsers.