Stay neutral in the renewed war between browsers? (Linux)

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
ineuw

Stay neutral in the renewed war between browsers? (Linux)

Post by ineuw »

Using the Firefox spell-checker in gMail has become problematic as gMail interferes with Firefox's functions. There is either a long delay, or non-implementation. Is there a user_pref that can overcome this? I noticed the progression of changes, and it's not Firefox, since I am always using the same 88.0.1 version.
Firefox 115.0.2 (default install) in Linux Mint 21.2 Cinnamon 64 bit, updated on 2023-07-31 00:05
DanRaisch

Re: How to stay neutral in the renewed war between browsers

Post by DanRaisch »

Well, that wouldn't exactly be a war between browsers but between Google's web mail page and a non-Goggle browser.

Not seeing that here and not that I think it's an extension causing the issue but have you tried starting Firefox in Mozilla Safe Mode? http://kb.mozillazine.org/Safe_mode
If no improvement using Safe Mode, do you have the same problem if you create a new profile and test it with no extensions or non-default themes installed?
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_Manager
ineuw

Post by ineuw »

DanRaisch wrote:Well, that wouldn't exactly be a war between browsers but between Google's web mail page and a non-Google browser.
I stand corrected. Something was progressively restricted in the gmail edit page, which likewise affected Firefox spell-check. 5-6 months ago it worked fine.

The war I mentioned is in Windows, where Google Chrome was there popping up in Firefox, almost demanding that I change the default. Very annoying. I am more drawn to get interesting work done than spend time tracking down and solving software changes that affect me.
Firefox 115.0.2 (default install) in Linux Mint 21.2 Cinnamon 64 bit, updated on 2023-07-31 00:05
Ashleyj

Post by Ashleyj »

ineuw wrote:The war I mentioned is in Windows, where Google Chrome was there popping up in Firefox, almost demanding that I change the default. Very annoying. I am more drawn to get interesting work done than spend time tracking down and solving software changes that affect me.
I have used Windows since it was a DOS add-on, and Firefox for nearly 20 years, and in all that time I have NEVER had Chrome, IE, or Edge 'pop-up' in Firefox requesting I change the default browser.

I have Firefox set as my default browser and that setting is remembered even after major updates to Windows. Search links within Windows itself appear to be hardwired to use the MS browser and in those instances I am asked if I want to set it as the default, but it's always happy to accept my refusal.

I have never heard anyone else reporting this either so I think you might be exaggerating the so-called issue.
ineuw

Post by ineuw »

Ashleyj wrote:I have never heard anyone else reporting this either so I think you might be exaggerating the so-called issue.
I promise that when making such claims, I will include a screenshot.