restore firefox

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
bgreenage

restore firefox

Post by bgreenage »

I had to restore my win 10 machine. So I lost all my settings. I did a backup first and have a folder called fix firefox. It contains three files bookmarks-2020-05-29.json, Firefox - 2020-05-29.pcv and Mozbackup.lnk. Can this be used to restore bookmarks, extensions etc? And if so how. Then there is another one that looks life a profile a combination of letters and numbers with a .default at the end. Opon opening there is much more data that again looks like a profile. Will either of these restore FX to it's state as of the 5.29.2020 date?
DanRaisch

Re: restore firefox

Post by DanRaisch »

Without knowing which specific files are present in the .pcv (which is just a ZIP file with a different file extension) or the "looks like a profile" it's impossible to say whether they offer a full restoration or not. You can certainly import old bookmarks from the bookmarkd-2020-05-29.json file but, based on the file name, that file might be more than a year old so you may not get back bookmarks added or edited since that date.
Check the dates of the files in the .pcv file by opening it with an unzip utility to see if that offers a better option.
bgreenage

Post by bgreenage »

Bookmark backups, browser extensions,addons.json,storage,autofill-profiles.json,content-prefs.sqlite are some of whats there.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

You have nothing to lose by trying to use the files in the .pcv ZIP file. Create a new Firefox profile and then replace all of the files created by that process with files of the same name from the .pcv file.
josegotme

Post by josegotme »

Use Hekasoft to save profile. It gets updated and works well.
https://www.hekasoft.com/hekasoft-backup-restore/