A good Fx Version to Keep

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
CBA

A good Fx Version to Keep

Post by CBA »

Mileage may vary, but any thoughts on a good functional Fx Version (Classic UI) to keep for the long run? I'm on Fx 68.12 ESR now and the natural choice (in my case) would be Fx 78.15 ESR once released.

That said, in parallel with 68.12 ESR, I'm also test driving Fx 88.0.1 Portable and (with a few about:config tweaks) it's not too bad. It's a later build, so it may not "break" websites as much as 78.15 ESR over time. But the latter would have a later security update. Please don't suggest 91.xx ESR.

TIA!
Ashleyj

Re: A good Fx Version to Keep

Post by Ashleyj »

I sticking with 88.0.1, which was the last decent (IMO) Firefox version before all this Proton nonsense was foisted upon us.

I have installed a separate copy of 90 in it's own folder, and played around with various CSS code to see if I can match what I have with 88. So far I have been unable to replicate the look I have now with 88 so I will undoubtedly stick with what I'm happy with.

I see that FF91 has brought even more pain as certain config tweaks relating to the Proton interface have been removed resulting in even more hacking of code to undo those changes.

I get the impression that Mozilla is deliberately trying to drive away users so they can give up on the project.
CBA

Post by CBA »

Tried Fx 90.0.2 and didn't like it. And, besides, to start with a bunch of userChrome tweaks doesn't "feel" right. So, based on feedback elsewhere, I decided to give Fx 88.0.1 Portable a try (as mentioned above). It may be "it" .. pending further input to the contrary.

If you want to contact the Mozilla Firefox "module" owners: https://wiki.mozilla.org/Modules/All#Desktop_Firefox The link is freely available on the web, but chances are they won't budge or change course .. unfortunately.
Ashleyj

Post by Ashleyj »

I am certain they won't budge - they seem focused on making Firefox a clone of Chrome/Edge at all costs.

The fact that they are consistently loosing users does not appear to worry them in this constant 'me-too' quest.

If it ever gets to the point where I have to stop using FF88 then I will probably switch to using an alternative browser rather than the latest Firefox.
Nestea

Post by Nestea »

Ashleyj wrote:I sticking with 88.0.1, which was the last decent (IMO) Firefox version before all this Proton nonsense was foisted upon us.

can you show me difference?
Ashleyj wrote:.....
I get the impression that Mozilla is deliberately trying to drive away users so they can give up on the project.
at this point with all the core people they fired I wouldn't be surprised that's true.
bob c

Post by bob c »

Ashley--I have read some of your other post where you and I agree.

Just to let you know, this is win7x64 FF64 version 90. Just wanted to let you know that my FF 90 looks just as my FF88 did, without any changing of my code, and the proton off. I just tried FF91 this morning, and it did change the look of toolbars, mostly the tabs, (could not see the wording in them) which is very important to me. So i reverted back to 90, (I always keep a copy) and I will stay here, until when ever, if it won't change things. Which will never happen. Won't make much difference, took us a long time to leave Netscape for Firefox. I'll be on this version of FF forever.
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)
Ashleyj

Post by Ashleyj »

bob c wrote:Ashley--I have read some of your other post where you and I agree.

Just to let you know, this is win7x64 FF64 version 90. Just wanted to let you know that my FF 90 looks just as my FF88 did, without any changing of my code, and the proton off. I just tried FF91 this morning, and it did change the look of toolbars, mostly the tabs, (could not see the wording in them) which is very important to me. So i reverted back to 90, (I always keep a copy) and I will stay here, until when ever, if it won't change things. Which will never happen. Won't make much difference, took us a long time to leave Netscape for Firefox. I'll be on this version of FF forever.
I'm glad you have a version that you are happy with.

I have to admit that the copy of 90 that I have played around with almost (but not quite) looks the same as the 88 that I use daily. Given time I would probably not notice the slight differences between the two.

From what I read the only real changes between 88 and later versions was cosmetic, so I can see no need to change from what I have got set up at the moment.
bob c

Post by bob c »

thanks, I already had updates (it's still able to be turned off) in about:config have it off (or false), and under the general tap of options it says my updates are turned off by the system administrator.
I'm going to be on FF v90 a long time to come
therube

Post by therube »

the only real changes between 88 and later versions was cosmetic
Aside from things "cosmetic" (& broken & removed &...), there is always Security to consider.
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
Ashleyj

Post by Ashleyj »

therube wrote:
the only real changes between 88 and later versions was cosmetic
Aside from things "cosmetic" (& broken & removed &...), there is always Security to consider.
There will always be security issues with any software whatever the version, so one has to take their own precautions when browsing.

I always have up-to-date security software running with the NoScript add-on installed. I also try to be as careful as I can with the sites I browse so I try to mitigate the risks as much as possible.
CBA

Post by CBA »

Ashleyj wrote:I sticking with 88.0.1, which was the last decent (IMO) Firefox version before all this Proton nonsense was foisted upon us...
In the meantime I have installed Fx 88.0.1 on all my computers (updates blocked). Works for me. To compensate for security updates, I'm pretty good at risk mitigation .. plus I run frequent backups (with copies stored offline). So, for now, Fx 88.0.1 is a good version for me to keep.
therube

Post by therube »

I have installed Fx 88.0.1
Better (assuming you don't need those great, did I say, great, features that 88 has) you're probably better off with 78ESR - for as long as that is updated (through October, I think it is).
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
CBA

Post by CBA »

therube wrote:... you're probably better off with 78ESR - for as long as that is updated (through October, I think it is).
That was my original plan. I trialed Fx 78.10 ESR and Fx 78.13 ESR before I settled on Fx 88.0.1, but some of my important sites either "protested" (frequently) or didn't perform well (once in a while) while using Fx 78.xx.

The Fx 68-series core was released in July 2019, the Fx 78-series in June 2020 and Fx 88.0.1 was released on May 4, 2021. Lacking a Fx 88.xx ESR (too bad, but to some extent understandable), at the end of the day, I think I'm better off this way. We'll see!