search bars, plural [SOLVED]

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
chazbc

search bars, plural [SOLVED]

Post by chazbc »

So I notice with my new Firefox which comes with the new LinuxMint 20,2, has two search bars, one in the address bar and the other one in the middle of the page. The one in the middle of the page doesn't work, Why? And is there a way it get it working?
Last edited by chazbc on August 20th, 2021, 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
smsmith

Re: search bars, plural

Post by smsmith »

For some reason Mozilla decided that even if you try to search using that search bar in the middle of the new tab page, you will search from the address bar. I guess it's to make it easier for people to click into the search bar in the middle of the page? Rather than figuring out you can search from the combined address/search bar? Never made much sense to me. I do not think there is a way to get rid of it. One of those mysteries of life...

In short, it does work. You start typing in it, and Firefox should behave like you are typing in the address bar.
Give a man a fish, and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish, and he eats for a lifetime.
I like poetry, long walks on the beach and poking dead things with a stick.
Please do not PM me for personal support. Keep posts here in the Forums instead and we all learn.
xanthon

Post by xanthon »

You can disable it. Search for 'handoff' in about:config and switch the value to false.
chazbc

Post by chazbc »

xanthon wrote:You can disable it. Search for 'handoff' in about:config and switch the value to false.
so this what I did, I think was change true to false. browser.newtabpage.activity-stream.improvesearch.handoffToAwesomebar

Seemed to fix the problem............................................ It has fixed the problem.
Thank you.