Older versions security concerns?

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
kukla

Older versions security concerns?

Post by kukla »

Out of concern that staying with a current version or release might expose me to an unpatched vulnerability, whenever there is a new release or update I promptly update, and always check to see the latest patched vulnerabilities, some labeled "critical" or "high."

It puzzles me that some users here, even those highly advanced, stay with much older versions, some dating back years. While I fully understand the need to avoid some oppressive UI changes, or keep running a version still compatible with, for example, XUL extensions, I wonder what such users do to stay safe? Do they think that some A-V completely protects them? - something I rather doubt.

In any case, would like to hear how those running older versions deal with security concerns while staying with unpatched versions.
kukla

Re: Older versions security concerns?

Post by kukla »

Just to clarify, I don't mean this to be seen as a challenge or rebuke to those who run older versions. Simply curious to understand how these users address (or possibly decide to ignore) the security concerns inherent in running older versions.
therube

Post by therube »

Common sense.
(And no, that does not mean avoiding "bad" websites - bad, being a totally meaningless term.)
(Hopefully I have some common sense [though sometimes I wonder...].)

Do use NoScript & uBlock Origin.

(I) Don't use A/V.
(I generally) Don't care (or better said, worry).

Hope I have good luck :-).

(I don't use FF, generally.)
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
bob c

Post by bob c »

+1 on what therube said--even though I am on FF93--for long periods I have stayed with older version--when I can no longer catch my FF modifications as soon as possible to make them stick from an upgrade--then I will revert back to my backup--and stay there.

I'm sure there are a lot of people on here like me, I have been around this (web) since DOS, the first netscape, compuserve (recognize that) , again like therube said, common sense.
malliz
Folder@Home

Post by malliz »

Seeing as most users of older versions do so because of aging operating systems that are more vulnerable then recommending not using Anti Virus is at best stupid and at worst criminal. Noscript can and does slow down browsing and to my way of thinking is more trouble than its worth. Ublock on the other hand is very good
What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"
semigeek

Post by semigeek »

I agree with therube and bob above. Script blocking by default is very effective. I do leave Windows Firewall running (and close ports in my modem firewall), but don't use third-party AV, which can be hard to distinguish from a virus demanding regular ransom itself.

As a rule, even in most high-profile news stories, malware first depends on a user to do something careless or stupid. More sophisticated perpetrators do exist, but it's hard to imagine how the average person could attract their attention.

This was a good question to ask not because it's useful to hear different people's intuitions on the subject, but because one can learn from their experience. I've been using personal computers since CP/M, just replaced my 2008 WinXP system (last running FF 52esr) this spring, update Firefox only when websites no longer load properly, am online every day, and have never been infected by malware, not once in nearly 40 years.