FireFox Crashes

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
alnuwer

FireFox Crashes

Post by alnuwer »

Hi. Over the past month or so, I get a message that FireFox crashed. Strange thing is - I do not have FireFox running (including not in background) when this happens. The message seems to pop up every few days. Any thoughts on what is going on here?
https://photos.app.goo.gl/K79jXnKaucEBKqJz7
BobbyPhoenix

Re: FireFox Crashes

Post by BobbyPhoenix »

That's Mozilla's background update service crashing, and not Firefox itself. I don't know why, so I can't really help, but check in settings to see if you have "Use a background service to install updates" checked, and while there check under the box right above it "Allow Firefox to". If they are checked maybe uncheck them to see if you still get the crash. If not then you probably need to do a Firefox Refresh as something is corrupt.
Do, or do not. There is no try.
alnuwer

Post by alnuwer »

BobbyPhoenix wrote:That's Mozilla's background update service crashing, and not Firefox itself. I don't know why, so I can't really help, but check in settings to see if you have "Use a background service to install updates" checked, and while there check under the box right above it "Allow Firefox to". If they are checked maybe uncheck them to see if you still get the crash. If not then you probably need to do a Firefox Refresh as something is corrupt.
Thanks for the suggestion. They were checked, so I unchecked them. Time will tell if that takes care of it. If so, does that suggest Mozella has a glitch in their background update service ?
DN123ABC

Post by DN123ABC »

Would like to follow this topic.
therube

Post by therube »

about:crashes
Did that log the associated crashes? If so, post the URLs to the reports.
That's Mozilla's background update service crashing, and not Firefox itself.
What clued you in to that?
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
BobbyPhoenix

Post by BobbyPhoenix »

therube wrote:about:crashes
Did that log the associated crashes? If so, post the URLs to the reports.
That's Mozilla's background update service crashing, and not Firefox itself.
What clued you in to that?
The screenshot given has the update service icon, and not the Firefox icon, and the fact that it was said Firefox wasn't running at the time.
Do, or do not. There is no try.
alnuwer

Post by alnuwer »

For what it's worth - I have not had a crash since I took Bobby's advice and changed the settings.