Enhanced Tracking Protection, broken website on Strict,

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
Nestea

Enhanced Tracking Protection, broken website on Strict,

Post by Nestea »

So what is the meta on the reporting of broken sites with Enhanced Tracking Protection? Since there's a disclaimer and option to report.
Should websites that work with 'Standard' be reported?

like https://www.pcgamesn.com/ (infinite scroll eventually stops working)

And why isn't it possible to enable Strict/Standard on a per site basis?

firefox enhanced tracking protection etp works with standard but not strict
firefox etp works with standard but not strict
DN123ABC

Re: Enhanced Tracking Protection, broken website on Strict,

Post by DN123ABC »

Not sure "what is the meta" means.

??
Nestea

Post by Nestea »

the rules.
I actually forgot about this issue. I think I'll report anyway. I simply don't want to clog their tickets and know for the future.
probably best to ask in the official mozilla forum
smsmith

Post by smsmith »

Used to be Help -> Submit Feedback, but that doesn't seem to be the right way any longer.
Give a man a fish, and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish, and he eats for a lifetime.
I like poetry, long walks on the beach and poking dead things with a stick.
Please do not PM me for personal support. Keep posts here in the Forums instead and we all learn.
Grumpus

Post by Grumpus »

The issue could be the page not the Firefox settings.
Looking at the page using the W3C validator indicates 16 errors and 7 warnings relative to JavaScript elements and CSS.
Doesn't matter what you say, it's wrong for a toaster to walk around the house and talk to you
Nestea

Post by Nestea »

smsmith wrote:Used to be Help -> Submit Feedback, but that doesn't seem to be the right way any longer.
not sure if you're referring to submitting a general help question or the Enhanced Tracking Protection part.
firefox Enhanced Tracking Protection stuff is done via (or well that's what I was referring to in my OP at least)

Grumpus wrote:The issue could be the page not the Firefox settings.
Looking at the page using the W3C validator indicates 16 errors and 7 warnings relative to JavaScript elements and CSS.
may be but it's known ETP breaks websites, and if you turn it off in this case, it works.
from my OP >Should websites that work with 'Standard' be reported?
so it works with the 'Standard' firefox Enhanced Tracking Protection setting but you cannot set the ETP on a per-site basis. You can only turn off ETP or use the global setting: [standard, strict, custom]
Grumpus

Post by Grumpus »

Looking at the image it notes 357,498 blocked with settings on strict
I'm showing 13 blocked for the same site with a custom setting.
If strict setting is lower level than custom how come so many blocked?
Also there is an exceptions panel on the Privacy & Security page under Settings for more definite control.
Doesn't matter what you say, it's wrong for a toaster to walk around the house and talk to you
Nestea

Post by Nestea »

I'm fairly certain this tracker is global.
13? Are you somehow resetting your stuff?

btw 631 entries were added since I last posted (seems to be 24h ago). I'm at 358,129 now.
you can click that number and it will lead you to: about:protections
Grumpus wrote: Also there is an exceptions panel on the Privacy & Security page under Settings for more definite control.
I'm aware but that was the question. If we are supposed to report 'Strict' broken websites too or only websites that break on 'Standard'. Since we cannot choose Strict/Standard/Custom on a per-site basis, rather it's on/off firefox Enhanced Tracking Protection.

btw you access that feature via the toggle in the screen shot I pasted above.
I don't even think you can add anything via that section (settings > priv & sec)

One of the reasons I'm using strict is:
"Firefox Strict Mode includes Total Cookie Protection, where the cookies and data stored by each website on your computer are confined to a separate cookie jar. In Firefox 91, Enhanced Cookie Clearing lets you delete all the cookies and data for any website by emptying that cookie jar. Illustration: Megan Newell and Michael Ham."
https://blog.mozilla.org/security/2021/ ... -clearing/

I could use adblock but I'm content with what mozilla is providing. I'm not anti-ads on the web, but be respectful to the viewer or just out-right go behind a paywall.