Firefox with lack of RAM

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
lenainjaune

Firefox with lack of RAM

Post by lenainjaune »

Hi all and a happy new year :D ,

I gave life to an old PC (HP Pavillion DV5000), by installing Linux Debian Bullseye on an SSD. It is much more responsive than before but the problem is that the maximum RAM has been reached, i.e. 2GB and that the videos on the Internet (stream and others) have trouble keeping up.

<edit>The Firefox version is 78.15.0esr (32 bits)</edit>

I was wondering if Firefox could handle videos not from RAM but exclusively from SSD which is slower than RAM but faster than HDD ?

Thank you in advance !

With adelphity,
lnj
Last edited by lenainjaune on January 12th, 2022, 1:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
BobbyPhoenix

Re: Firefox with lack of RAM

Post by BobbyPhoenix »

I know when I installed Firefox on a 2GB machine a couple months ago it needed the 32bit version. 64bit takes too much resources. What version do you have installed? If it's 64bit try uninstalling it, and installing 32bit.

You can download specific versions here: https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/all/?q=English%20
Do, or do not. There is no try.
James

Post by James »

In order to use 32-bit Firefox on 64-bit Linux you would need to install some minimum needed 32-bit packages in order to use 32-bit Firefox though.
lenainjaune

Post by lenainjaune »

BobbyPhoenix wrote:I know when I installed Firefox on a 2GB machine a couple months ago it needed the 32bit version. 64bit takes too much resources. What version do you have installed? If it's 64bit try uninstalling it, and installing 32bit.

You can download specific versions here: https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/all/?q=English%20
James wrote:In order to use 32-bit Firefox on 64-bit Linux you would need to install some minimum needed 32-bit packages in order to use 32-bit Firefox though.

I installed the 78.15.0esr (32 bits) version from a 32 bits system
lenainjaune

Post by lenainjaune »

At rendering the video stream appears jerkily (it's not very pleasant), the sound follows well but is not synchronized with the image
Last edited by lenainjaune on January 12th, 2022, 2:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
lenainjaune

Post by lenainjaune »

I wanted to try a real time kernel which I suppose can better the situation but I have some trouble to compile it (some errors that I do not know how to resolve) and as I do not have sufficent knowledge on the subject I am blocked. But I continue to search ...

Also top command indicated to me that the RAM or SWAP are not fully used but the bottleneck is the CPU with works at 100% so I learnt a bit how to change the process priority but I am not sure to be in the right way.